A used car I bought three months ago suffered transmission failure - what are my rights?

I brought a 2013 Ford Kuga last December. It came with a three-month warranty. Last month, I noticed a grating sound when it changed from second to third gear. The garage had a look at it and assured me it was nothing to worry about. A day after this assurance was given, I had a total transmission failure and no forward or reverse movement. The garage now says they would be happy to pay the VAT on the repair, but would require me to contribute to the repair. What are my rights?

Asked on 20 March 2018 by Phil Cordery

This will have a Powershift transmission that requires a fluid and filter change every three years and is generally reliable if it gets one, but prone to failure if it doesn't. But if you bought it from a dealer in December 2017 and it has not had this transmission fluid and filter change, then the dealer you bought it from is liable because the transmission had a fault that was present or developing before the date you bought it: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/