Would it be cheaper to get insurance on a Group 1, new car or an older car?

I'm preparing to return to the road after a DDI ban - first (and last) offence, incurred accidentally. Obviously insurance is going to be an issue, but would you suggest buying a more modern (and more expensive) car in insurance Group 1 or a cheaper and older but more user-friendly 5-door that's worth less (e.g. a 12-year-old Focus for under £1000)? If the premiums are too heavy, I'm also considering going down the classic route for a year or two with something like a Morris Minor or Triumph Herald.

Asked on 8 December 2017 by Mike Taylor

Answered by Tim Kelly
Newer car is definitely the way to go, as the insurer will perceive you as less liable to drink and drive again in the future due to the cost attached. I would suggest using price comparison websites and using different vehicles to see what prices come up based on your history. I may be wrong, so it is worth checking. The classic car route is definitely an option, but would not cover you to and from a place of work usually.
Similar questions
Which cars are cheapest to insure for a reformed drink driver?
Is it okay for someone else to drive my car while I'm serving a disqualification, or is the insurance void as it's only insured for me to drive? Can someone with third party cover on their insurance policy...
My son is an additional driver on my policy. He is 19 and has a ban for 28 days from court today for speeding. Do I need to let my insurance know about his ban?
Related models
Superb blend of keen handling and ride comfort. Seats five in comfort. five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating.
Brilliant parts availability and specialist back-up, good to drive, and easy to work on
There's a Minor to suit all budgets, good to drive, brilliant parts and specialist back-up, A-series powered ones are easily tuned to stay up with modern traffic, classic flatulent exhaust note


Value my car