Should I buy a diesel car on PCP for my high mileage commute?

I do around 18,000 miles a year, of which 14,000 or so are business, for which I get 45p a mile. I need a new car; should I get a petrol or diesel for this sort of mileage? I'm concerned about the government's intentions around diesels but they are a better bet for higher mileage. Should I buy through PCP or with cash?

If buying on a PCP on a fixed 3 year contract with a guaranteed buyback figure or a simple hand-back you don't need to worry about the world turning away from diesels in 3 years time and can benefit from the lower fuel costs of running a diesel.