Should I buy a BMW i3 with range extender to reduce my fuel bill for a longer commute?

I currently own a 2014 BMW 3 Series 2.0d M Sport with 31,000 miles and I average 48 - 50mpg on my 50 mile round trip commute. I'm about to relocate due to work later in the year and the mileage is going up to 38 miles each way. The journey is 3/4 motorway. I have wife and 5 year old and other than commuting we don't generally travel further than Southampton to London or 150 miles to Devon. Due to the work move I want to reduce my monthly fuel bill and am considering swapping to the BMW i3 with range extender. Is this a good choice?

Asked on 28 January 2017 by Paul Boulton

Do it very quickly. Last I heard BMW had 20 i3s going cheap off its demo fleet and a 7 month old range extender with 700 miles was cheap at £19,000.