Need a reliable automatic - what do you suggest?

I bought a Volkswagen Golf DSG 1.4 TSI nine months ago. Since then I've been told various horror stories about the automatic gearbox and am now considering selling the car. What is your suggestion for a replacement?

At the moment I am thinking of a used Skoda Superb or Octavia. The market value of my current car is about £19,000 and I don't want to spend too much extra for a replacement.

Asked on 20 July 2016 by Tony4

If you get any other VAG automatic the same size (Skoda Octavia, SEAT Leon, Audi A3) it will have the same transmission. Audi's s-tronic is simply Audi's name for a DSG. The best equivalent the same size is a Mazda 3 with a six-speed torque converter automatic transmission.