Buying a new SUV - petrol or diesel?

We want to buy a new seven-seater SUV. Our shortlist is: Volvo XC90, Land Rover Discovery Sport and the Kia Sorento. We are a bit worred about the emissions scandals. Should we opt for petrol or diesel?

Asked on 22 April 2016 by Atommo75

The only petrol version of any of these is the Volvo XC90 T8: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/volvo/volvo-xc90-t.../ Disco Sports have JLR's Ingenium 2.0 diesel with 160 or 180PS. The Sorento has a standard 2.2 diesel and is best value in KX2 manual format: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-sorento-20.../