Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

Which car do you recommend for short journeys with good load space and comfort?

My wife and I are in our eighties and have been happy with our now 4-year-old Golf Plus (total miles 20,000) and much older Nissan Micra, both owned from new. However, we don’t need two cars any longer and propose changing to one car later this year. Annual mileage will be up to 6000, mainly through local journeys and occasional longer ones. I am concerned about the possibility of the dreaded DPF problems with the diesel. I am over 6 feet tall, and easy access and space for golf clubs and trolley are required. Also considering the likelihood of joints becoming stiffer, should we consider an automatic gearbox for the future?

Asked on 18 May 2013 by GS, Frodsham

Depends how much you want to (or can) spend. A Ford B-Max might do the job, and you can get 1 1.6 Powershift auto. (1.0 EcoBoost auto coming later). Alternatively a KIA Venga or Hyundai ix20 auto. Also consider a Toyota Verso S Multidrive S and a Honda Jazz CVT-7.