Should I buy a Peugeot RCZ or Hyundai Veloster Sport for my motorway commute?

I'm looking to buy another car for a 50 mile commute to and from work, predominantly on dual carriageway and motorway, capable of carrying at least one electric golf trolley and bag, occasionally two. I'm currently considering an ex-demonstrator, diesel version of the Peugeot RCZ that is great to drive and overtake with, excellent boot space and acceptable MPG. But for the same money I could also buy a brand new Hyundai Veloster Sport which quotes a similar MPG but for slightly cheaper petrol and will come with a 5-year warranty. Which one is likely to be the better buy, taking depreciation, insurance, fuel and maintenance into account please?

Asked on 9 January 2012 by KD, Northampton

I can't imagine an RCZ diesel. George Fowler of The Daily Star tested the proper petrol-engined ones for us: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/peugeot/peugeot-rc.../ , David Ross tested the Veloster and I did the Veloster twin clutch: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/hyundai/hyundai-ve.../

You'd also have to consider a Volkswagen Scirocco, which I tested: honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/volkswagen/vw-scirocco-20tsi-2008-road-test// From the tone of your letter I don’t think you’d go for a Toyota GT86 or Subaru BRZ: honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/toyota/toyota-gt86-road-test//, also driven and track-tested by me.