Can you recommend an alternative to the Renault Modus?

I have a Renault Modus petrol 1.6 and it has failed its MoT big time! I love everything about this car, can you suggest any similar cars I could look at? I only do about 3,000 miles per year. My budget is approx £5,000.

Asked on 24 November 2021 by Jennifer Parry

We'd recommend a Honda Jazz. It's a bit like a Modus (with a big boot for its relatively compact dimensions) but should be more reliable. You should be able to get a tidy example from around 2011 within budget. Alternatively, if something a bit more conventional appeals, consider a Ford Fiesta with the dependable 1.25-litre petrol engine.