Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks

I want an electric car to replace two diesel cars. What do you suggest?

I drive a 2011 Ford Galaxy auto, mostly for transporting grandkids to school and long motorway journeys. I have a 2007 Fiat Panda for local runs around town. I get 44mpg and 60mpg respectively, both diesel engines. Choosing a new car has been a nightmare for me, so any good advice welcome. I want one car - possibly a good quality used car. Ultimately, I would like electric, I just feel they are too expensive at the moment. My total yearly mileage is usually 11,000. My budget is £15,000-20,000.

Asked on 30 November 2020 by Jackie Cable

You can certainly get a good electric car within budget. How about an MG ZS EV? It's a versatile electric vehicle with a range of 163 miles. Prices for a new one start from £25,495 but you can pick up a nearly-new one for less than £19,000. If you'd prefer something more premium (but less practical), consider a BMW i3. If you're not ready to make the jump to an electric car, we'd recommend a hybrid model. A Toyota C-HR or RAV4 could be a good choice. Or a Kia Niro.