Which is the best used family saloon?

We need to replace our SEAT Altea. We have a £4500 budget and two growing children, but only a small commute. I'm taken with the idea of a Volkswagen Passat, SEAT Exeo, Honda Accord or Toyota Avensis. I know the Avensis is probably the sensible choice, but can't help feeling the driving experience itself may be lacking compared to the others. Also, what's your experience concerning the auto boxes in each? Many thanks.

Asked on 2 June 2020 by Mathew Willcocks

The Honda Accord and Toyota Avensis are the sensible choices. Both have a good reputation for reliability. The auto box in the Honda isn't particularly refined, but we have received very few complaints in regards to reliability. The Avensis uses a CVT which again is reliable but occasionally noisy under heavy loads. Avoid diesel is your commute is less than 15-miles, a modern diesel engine is not designed for low-mileage runs.