Slide rules

MO says her son lost control of his car on polished cobbles on the approach to a roundabout. Assuming this is a local authority maintained road she should contact the Highways Department and ask: What the required skidding resistance is for the location in question (approaches to roundabouts have specific requirements depending on traffic volume); What the actual skidding resistance of the cobbles is (most highways authorities have their own laboratories for testing skidding resistance using a pendulum tester). If they don't have a value, ask them to justify the use of cobbles (which are notoriously slippery). At the approach to a roundabout, if anything, one might have expected high skid resistance calcinated bauxite chippings (often red), which are stuck to the road with epoxy resin if the traffic volumes and accident record justifies it. If they can't give a sensible answer, make a claim.

Asked on 21 August 2010 by GL (retd Highways Engineer), Plymouth

Answered by Honest John
Many thanks for the information, which I will forward to the solicitor handling the case.
Similar questions
I am having a problem with my car insurer regarding responsibility. I was involved in a recent crash on the M6. I was in the left hand lane when a lorry entering the motorway from a slip-road did not slow...
Three days ago I suffered a blowout of my nearside rear tyre that resulted in a replacement at a cost of £96.60. This was caused by a 6-inch pothole adjacent to a drainage grid that I have photographed...
On 5 March 2010 my daughter damaged her two front tyres and wheels in a potholed main road. When she telephoned Hertfordshire Council offices to report the incident she was asked to pursue a claim and...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer