What small family cars would you recommend?

My son wants a car the size of a Ford Focus or Mercedes-Benz B-Class. Which would be your first and second choice and is there a car in that group he should not buy? I would very much appreciate your guidance.

Asked on 6 March 2020 by Stuart cliff

The latest Ford Focus, Kia Ceed and Mazda 3 are all good choices. There are new versions of the Volkswagen Golf, SEAT Leon and Skoda Octavia on their way this year - if your son isn't concerned about having the latest model, there are some really good pre-reg deals to be had on the outgoing cars (www.honestjohn.co.uk/best-pre-reg-and-nearly-new-c.../).