Seats of disc-content

It seems that some smaller cars are made with an adjustable back seat that allows either 4 comfortable passengers with a reduced luggage space or 2 comfortable passengers, minimal back seat space but a larger luggage area. What makes/models are these? What other cars are there in the VW Golf size that offer good back seat space?

Asked on 24 April 2010 by W.H., via e-mail

All hatchbacks have folding rear seats. Most have fold-flat rear seats. The exceptions (those with folding rear seatbacks but not fully folding rear seats) include FIAT Panda, FIAT 500, Mazda2 and current Ford Fiesta. Some have folding and sliding rear seats that allow four to travel with increased luggage capacity. These include Nissan Note, KIA Venga and (much smaller) high-end versions of the Renault Twingo in which the back seat slides back and forth by about a foot. On the Nissan Note and KIA Venga the rear seatbacks recline slightly for a more comfortable ride.