Should I replace my diesel car with a hybrid or electric vehicle and, if so, which one?

I own a Skoda Yeti diesel, which I have used for towing a caravan for the past six years. Due to our advancing years, we have decided to give up caravanning and no longer need a diesel car. We will probably pass the Yeti onto a family member and are now in the position of trying to decide on a replacement, but there is no rush. In the electric car range, the Kia e-Niro looks to be the front runner, but are like the proverbial hen's teeth. The Jaguar I-Pace is lovely but out of my price bracket. We need a car that can do mainly local journeys but can also cope with a regular 130 mile trip to Cumbria but (hopefully) without an hour's stop to charge it. Should I hang onto the Yeti for a while and wait for a wider choice of electric cars or can you suggest a suitable alternative such as a hybrid?

Asked on 5 November 2019 by Ron

A Kia e-Niro sounds like a good choice and should easily be able to cover a 130 mile trip to Cumbria but, like you say, actually getting one is tricky. A Hyundai Ioniq Electric would be another strong choice, with an official range of 194 miles. Also consider the MG ZS EV - it's an affordable electric crossover, officially capable of covering 163 miles on a full charge. Alternatively, it might be worth waiting for the new Volkswagen ID.3, which will go on sale next year: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2019-09/volkswa.../