How do I get a car on SORN to a garage to be MoTd?

I have a car on SORN and need to use it. It has no MoT so how do I get it to a garage to be tested? Do I need to insure it?

Asked on 14 October 2019 by geoffanne

Answered by Dan Powell
You can drive a car on SORN without road tax to a pre-booked MoT test. The car must be insured and (if stopped by the police) you will need proof of the MoT appointment. Once the car has passed the MoT, you will need to tax it before driving it home.

However, take note, the validity of your insurance may be compromised by the SORN. You will need to check with the insurance provider that you will not invalidate your cover by driving it on the road to a pre-booked MoT.
Similar questions
My vehicle is parked on the road outside my house when not in use. I'm visiting my daughter in Australia soon and expect to be out of the country for approximately five months. I have tax and MoT on the...
A family bought a property nearby and they obviously buy and sell cars from it. I've seen cars from the lot with adverts in the windows and they park them in the high street and drop them back later. They've...
I wish to take my wife's car for an MoT test but the car is currently off the road by way of SORN. My wife is the legal owner and registered keeper of the car but there is currently no motor insurance...

Value my car