What's a good compact 4x4 crossover to cope with poorly surfaced country roads?

My friend is looking for a compact 4x4 crossover to cope better with poorly surfaced country roads. The car needs to be petrol, comfortable and able to cope with motorway journeys. Her budget is £15K maximum. I have recommended the Suzuki Vitara. Do you have any other recommendations?

Your recommendation of a Suzuki Vitara is a good one. Does your friend really need 4x4 though? Two-wheel-drive crossovers offer improved ride quality over poor roads while being more economical than 4x4 models. Winter tyres make a huge difference in poor conditions, too. I'd also look at a Honda HR-V and SEAT Arona.