Is it legal for insurance brokers to charge more if you take passengers on a motorbike?

Is it legal for insurance brokers to charge more if you say you may take passengers on a motorbike? Car drivers are not charged more or even asked the question.

Yes, because you are much at risk of an an accident on a bike than in a car. It is much much more probable that your pillion will have a serious injury or sustain a fatality than the would as a passenger in a car. It is not a matter of whether it is ‘legal’ or not, they are providing you cover that you can opt to have, or decline.