Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - Med

Hi all, i am hoping i will get an answer for when i get round to deal with this tomorrow.

Ok, basically - i have been with my car insurance company for 2 months now and i had paid for this in full, i was with them a year before and renewed it.

Now, randomly today i receive an email from them thanking me for changing my policy - started to get worried as i never changed anything, i called them - they advised that i have to now pay an extra £690 due in 7 days because apparantly the points on my licence (3 points for no entry) TS30 was not declared, i am near enough certain that i mentioned this to them on the phone when comfirming details.

This was laughable so i told them i would like to cancel the policy and the lady said ah ok, no problem- she came back and said she would waive the admin cancellarion fee but my refund was £120 (bear in mind i paid £790 in full about 1 1/2 months ago for 10 months), i asked why was the refund so low and they answered, oh you didn't declare this in the last years insurance you had with us so the difference is what you should have paid last year!!

Are they allowed to do this? what should i say.......I can't cancel because i need the car for work and i dont have an extra £690 to pay them!!! they are really playing me.

You will ask why i never declared my points in my first years insurance with them!? i have no excuse i forgot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - dacouch

Is your Insurer Admiral?

YES! I don't believe thats just a wild guess.......

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - dacouch

The ten months gives it away plus they're checking their clients histories at the moment, I've seen a few people who have been asked for back dated premiums.

Assuming you did not declare the conviction, then they can back date the premium you should have paid had you told them.

If you're confident you did tell them, then you need to send them a letter marked "Official Complaint" (Ideally by recorded delivery). They have to properly investigate the matter and report back to you (They get quite a while to do this). The address to send it is in your policy booklet.

Mention that you are certain you disclosed the conviction and ask them to listen to the recordings of your calls. Keep the letter polite and concise.

Mention that should you not receive a satisfactory response that you will perform a S.A.R on them for a copy of the date they hold on you and transcripts of all calls. Also that you reserve the right to refer the matter onto the Ombudsman.

(The S.A.R costs you £10 but can be very helpful, google "ICO SAR"

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - bonzo dog

Don't get involved.

This guy is a serial complainer; every thing that goes wrong is someone elses fault - try googling "med" instead.

Nice bonzo dog - "Serial Complainer". Its what these forums are here for, if you don't like that i am here to ask for help, and for help only....sod off replying to any of my posts. Others don't have a problem.

Everyone else - thanks...my main point is that i never knew that they could come after you for the money and i found INFACT bonzo dog, that it was Admirals fault because my original docs stated i told them i had it on there, got a refund of my calls!

Sorry for the confusion...

Edited by Med on 12/08/2012 at 20:08

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - bonzo dog

I have replied to some of your many posts in the past & read much more of your whinging on this & other forums, hence my view & comment.

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - bathtub tom

>>i have been with my car insurance company for 2 months now

>> you didn't declare this in the last years insurance

These two statements are mutually incompatible.

Are you admitting you fraudulently obtained insurance over twelve months ago by not declaring a motoring offence? If so, I reckon you're getting off lightly by just being 'fined' nearly seven hundred quid.

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - thunderbird

Ok, basically - i have been with my car insurance company for 2 months now and i had paid for this in full, i was with them a year before and renewed it.

So you have been with them for a year and 2 months and not declared points, that is your problem, you have broken their (and very other insurers) terms and conditions.

It is not their fault, they are only being diligent and hopefully ensuring law abiding citizens like me don't pay for other peoples "misstakes".

Your next problem will be getting insurance in the future, you have now had a policy cancelled and will have to declare it, new insurers will load you for this if they acceppt you at all. Don't declare it and things will only get worse.

Your best solution is probably to cough up the money they want, talk nicely to them and they may let you pay monthly.

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - Armitage Shanks {p}

What does SAR stand for/mean in the context of applying for transcripts of telephone calls, please?

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - ifithelps

What does SAR stand for/mean in the context of applying for transcripts of telephone calls, please?

Subject access request in the context of the Data Protection Act.

Insurance and my HUGE increase in premium - Armitage Shanks {p}

So not Searach and Rescue then?! Thank you!