Audi TT 3.2 V6 - Claiming for repairs from dealer on recent purchase - Pete203

Hi

First post on here. First post anywhere.

I bought a secondhand Audi TT 3.2 V6 from a dealer 8 days ago. I noticed I had a flat tyre yesterday and took the car into Kwikfit. They told me the tyres on the car were not good enough for the power of the car and the one they took off was torn on the sidewall. They didnt think the tyres on the car were safe and recommended that I change all of them. They also checked the brakes and told me the front brake discs were partially corroded and not functioning properly.

The car was described as being in top condition by the dealer.

Not being aware (or perhaps just being a muppet) of the 'you have to give them a chance to rectify the problem' part of the Sale of Goods act I went ahead and got them replaced.

Ive not had the brakes done yet so Im more optimistic about getting them to pay to fix that.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I might recoup some or all of the cost of replacing the tyres.

Grrrh

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Pete203 on 27/07/2012 at 15:28

Audi TT 3.2 V6 - Claiming for repairs from dealer on recent purchase - skidpan

Tyres are something anyone can check without being a mechanic, its simply a matter of bending down and looking. If you failed to do this before you handed over your cash you have only yourself to blame.

If you get things fixed without giving the selller chance to sort you have no chance whatsoever of getting any money back.

If you have kept the old tyres and brakes I guess you could use them as evidence and take the garage to court but how would you prove they came off your TT.

Sorry but you you have made your own problems and will have to live with them.

Tyres are something anyone can check without being a mechanic, its simply a matter of bending down and looking. If you failed to do this before you handed over your cash you have only yourself to blame.

Thanks for your reply.

The tyres looked in good condition tread wise. I dont have an enycylopaedic knowldege of different tyres though. I bought it from a dealer and they sold me a car that was unfit for purpose. One of the tyres was ruined within a week of buying it.

Youre right though, looks like Ill be paying for this one.

Audi TT 3.2 V6 - Claiming for repairs from dealer on recent purchase - tony g
(If you get things fixed without giving the selller chance to sort you have no chance whatsoever of getting any money back.)

Not always true ,in a recent small claims court case involving a land rover discovery gearbox failure ,a judge ruled that a private individual lacked sufficient knowledge to ask the dealer to repair the gearbox at the Dealers expense .The buyer had the gearbox repaired ,without telling the dealer ,then successfully recovered the cost from the dealer .details were given on this forum about 6 months ago .

In addition it seems harsh to criticise the op for his lack of know how on tyres ,it appears that the failure was in the sidewall ,it's unlikely to show as a fault with a visual inspection ,

I would be wary of kwik fits opinion ,they are well known as a company for generating extra sales from customers ,the op suggests that the tyres are not suitable for that particular car ,they would have been speed rated ,was the speed rating correct for the Audi ?

I would definitely go back to the dealer ref the discs ,it may well be that the dealer would contribute to the tyres as well .

Tony g
Audi TT 3.2 V6 - Claiming for repairs from dealer on recent purchase - RT

What speed rating is "suitable" for a given car is a grey area legally.

Common sense dictates that the tyres should be capable of speeds at or exceeding the car's maximum speed - but there's no legal requirement in the UK to have tyre capability of more than the 70mph National Speed Limit.

Some European countries have their legal framework worded differently so in some cases the tyres must legally match or exceed the car's maximum speed.

Edited by RT on 28/07/2012 at 10:54

I have checked the tyre ratings and they are below those recommended by the manufacturer so that supports my claim. And suggests that kwikfit, on this occasion, were right.

The dealer has offered to have the brakes looked at by VW/Audi group so okay on that one it seems.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Barnes vs Mcgrath

Thanks that might come in handy. I've got the receipt and the tyre too!

According to Tesco Tyres

"It is important to find a tyre with the speed rating you require when replacing your tyres, as choosing a tyre with a lower speed rating than required could invalidate your insurance and increase the chance of product failure"

and

"While it is acceptable to have a Speed Rating higher than is required, it is not acceptable to have a lower Speed Rating - this can be very dangerous."