Learner driver and insurance - Ben 10
Daughter has just started driving lessons.I've bought L plates and want to take her out myself in my car. Am I covered on comprehensive insurance for her to drive as a learner or will I have to load my insurance with a higher premium. How does it work?
Learner driver and insurance - daveyjp
She needs adding as a named learner driver.
Learner driver and insurance - Ben 10
Will that cost a lot?
Learner driver and insurance - thunderbird

You have no option legally but to correctly insure the car for you daughter as a learner driver. The cost will depend on the type of car but you have no option if you want to teach her.

Learner driver and insurance - unthrottled

For provisional licence holders the cost really isn't bad (since they are always under supervision). It's when they pass that the cost rockets...

The fact that your child has two X chromosomes helps too. Often you can add drovers on to your policy for short periods of time; the cost really isn't a lot-much cheaper than additional lessons.

Learner driver and insurance - Peter D

Ben 10. What on earth made you think she would be insured . She is not named on your policy so she is not insured. Also be aware than instantly she passes her test she is not insured on your vehicle at all. Regards Peter

Learner driver and insurance - zango

Short term learner insurance seems to be the solution at the moment.

You can insure your daughter under a separate policy to drive your car , provided it is lower than group 15 (out of 50), for any period between 1 and 28 weeks. The policy runs in parallel with your existing insurance.

The cost is circa £300 which is much cheaper than adding a named learner driver to a standard policy. If you do some searching on the internet you will find lots of providers. The motoring organisations (e.g AA) provide some recommendations as well.

Seems to be a new product.

Good luck

Learner driver and insurance - Bromptonaut

Presumably 'any driver' insurance would provide cover but even then you'd need to tell the insurer as teaching a learner is a 'relevant fact'.

My own experience for both son and daughter was that adding them as named drivers cost around £400 additional premium.

Daughter, who passed her test 2yrs ago, is now insured on both our cars (Admiral multi-car) at a cost which remains lower than the combined sum for previous individual policies.

"'any driver' insurance " is rare these days. and if you did have one it would insure any qualified driver which would exclude a learner. Regards Peter
Learner driver and insurance - Butterfly
Just make sure that when she passes her test you inform her/your insurer as if you don't they won't pay out in a claim!

I detailed this earlier in the thread. I came across a case where the daughter passed her test and returned home with Mum as a passenger then the daughter took the plates off and went out to drive on her own and at the end of her road she T boned a car when she pulled out into the main road. Insurance company refused to pay out. Regards Peter

Learner driver and insurance - thunderbird

Even when "any driver" insurance existed it always excluded learners, drivers under 25 and anyone who passed their test in the previous 2 years.

Learner driver and insurance - RT

Even when "any driver" insurance existed it always excluded learners, drivers under 25 and anyone who passed their test in the previous 2 years.

It was never "ALWAYS" anything - it depended on the wording of the policy - certainly my policies when I was in my early 20's simply specified "any driver" without any exclusions - but that was on low grouped cars.

Age restrictions are often applied to cars above the low groups.

Learner driver and insurance - Bromptonaut

Any driver was available to me before 25 but was prohibitivley expensive.

After 25 (c1985) I used ado 25 for several years as it meant my partner and any member of my family could use it - or at least move it if it blocked the drive. AFAIK learners - over 25 - were allowed but subject to additional excess in event of damage.

Learner driver and insurance - Barry Jacobs

Just found this thread and thought I'd add my two pence. We tried to get my son insurance in his own car. No way he could be added to ours so seemed the better option. Trying to get insurance was a nightmare as many of the main Learner Driver Insurance providers only cover them to drive a car they don't own.

Edited by Avant on 10/01/2019 at 16:10