BMW 320D - Cheap Windscreen Solution When Not Covered By Ins - e601966

I have motor trade insurance which doesn't cover windscreens in the same way as a private policy. Very strangely, I've noticed a massive crack in the windscreen of a E90 BMW 320D after a test drive last night.

I remember years ago it cost about £900 to replace a windscreen on a E65 7 series - does anyone know of any companies that supply and fit windscreens at a lower cost? I guess 99.9% of people who need a new screen just claim on their private car insurance so getting one fitted on the cheap seems albeit impossible. Any ideas appreciated.

BMW 320D - Cheap Windscreen Solution When Not Covered By Ins - gordonbennet

Get your yellow pages out and have a trawl locally, obviously online search too, then ring round for prices, you want local small companies, but don't be put off travelling a bit if it saves you enough.

Good independant garages they will know of some too, my MB indy told me who to call.

The well known companies have huge advertising campaigns and layers of management to pay for, so they are not really worth bothering to telephone unless you need a good belly laugh.

Last screen fitted to my MB was about £170 cash IIRC, 3 or 4 years ago.

BMW 320D - Cheap Windscreen Solution When Not Covered By Ins - thunderbird

Back about 20 years I was wealthy enough to buy and insure a Golf GTi, the insurance cost me 3 x what I paid for a BMW this year and I was not a young tearaway back then and had a clean record with full NCB, it eventiually got nicked which was why they cost so much to insure.

The screen got cracked thus rang insurance to find out who their favoured glass replacement company was. Told that my screen excess was the same as my policy excess at £300 thus not worth claiming, not happy but that's life. I rang round the local and national replacement companies and one that began with "auto" asked where the car was, said they were on their way past to another job and would call in on the way was £75 OK, not much more than I expected to pay as my excess, happy again.

Ring round and watch them outbid each other.