Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - elab121

We purchased a Brand New Vauxhall Astra at the end of last year (2011)

The combined MPG figure quoted was 51 (expected about 35)

Upon driving the car the average has been around 25 mpg.

Comparing this to other cars I have driven (That reflects driving style and local elements) I consider this unacceptable.

Example - 2003 Jag XJ8 4.2 (Av 21.7 mpg) 300c (Av25 mpg) and my wifes Nissian Quashai 1.6 petrol (Av 31 mpg)

I reported the low mpg to the dealer within 72 hours of purchase and again 2 month after. The dealer doesnt want to know until the car has done 2000 miles (900 miles as of today) and have quoted £80 if no fault is found.

As the MPG is way off can I obtain a full refund under the sale of goods act ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by elab121 on 10/01/2012 at 19:22

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - unthrottled

That is staggeringly awful-are there any other symptoms (rough running, funny smell from exhaust, hot wheels after a run etc?)

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - unthrottled

Out of curiosity, how much fuel does the engine use to idle (the computer should be able to tell you in gallons or litres/hour). Warmed up, a/c off, should be no more than 0.25gallons/hour-at the very most. It is very difficult to reject a car for poor fuel economy alone. But there is always a reason behind it-and you can reject the car if the dealer can't rectify it.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - elab121

Thanks for your reply.

The car runs perfectly and up to expectations in every way apart from the MPG.

On a run (100) miles it does 39 mpg, If I reset the trip on a 6 mile local run when the engine is warm it acheives 32

Out of the entire 900 miles and per tank it's average is 25. The Car is never left running whilst waiting and not used during peak times when you would expect to get stuck in traffic.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - colinh

"....If I reset the trip on a 6 mile local run..."

I don't think you will establish much of a case using, presumably, the fuel computer on short runs - they are notoriously inaccurate.

'' I don't think you will establish much of a case using, presumably, the fuel computer on short runs - they are notoriously inaccurate''.

I understand that, but it gives an idea of what it's doing a to b when warm. The figure I am going by is the average of 25 per tank and for the 900 miles to date. Thanks

Edited by elab121 on 10/01/2012 at 20:30

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - daveyjp
What mileage are you getting between brim to brim refuels. With your suggested figures I hazard about 250 from full tank to fuel warning. Is this close?

About 280 miles from full to the click to refuel now, trip shows 310 if I would let it run dry

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - skidpan

Rejecting a car on the gounds of it not achieving the "EU Official Fule Consumption Figures" is going to be impossible for several reasons.

1 They are not the maufacturers figures, they are the only figures they can quote and are intended as a guide only and mainly for assessing VED and company car tax rates.

2 Everbody drives differently and does different journeys.

3 Temperatures this time of year (I appreciate its mild but its still colder than summer) means you will always use more fuel.

4 A new car engine needs several thousand miles to loosen up, diesels can take 20,000 miles or more, you do not get your best MPG until bedding in is complete.

5 If you won everybody would be rejecting cars on these grounds since very few people match the official figures and that is not going to happen.

Give it a few more mile and let the weather warm up. Do a few tank to tank fill ups and inore th fuel confuser on the dash, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

This link should give you a better idea of what you should be getting. www.honestjohn.co.uk/RealMpg/Results?manufacturer=...l

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - daveyjp
The only way to check if this is normal is to get your hands on another car the same and run it for a week.

Real MPG has been quoted as 36 to 46 ? still way off 25

Edited by elab121 on 10/01/2012 at 21:32

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - Happy Blue!

900 miles is way too soon to determine how uneconmical the car is. You need to work out the avergage mpg manually (not using the trip computer) over the first 3-4,000 miles in a petrol and probably 10,000 miles in a diesel to get anywhere near a proper determination of consumption.

Some engines are natuarally more thirsty in traffic and from cold than others. What sort of driving do you do each day? Should you be comparing the real fuel consumption with the urban or combined official figures. For my driving I assume that I will only get the urban figure, so anything better is a bonus.

The effect of the 'bedding in period' is overstated. Yes, modern engines are 'tight' from the factory but to be using this much fuel something would have to be seriously wrong. Anyone that can get over 21 mpg from a 4.2 V8 shoud reasonably be expecting 40+ from a 1.4 Astra.

I get at least 40 from a 1.6 Megane.

The long term average from the computer should be reasonably accurate-the engine knows how much fuel it is injecting!

Check the idle consumption rate; idle is a challenging condition for a petrol engine-and any engine problems should show up there. It also eliminates driver 'error'.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - Avant

How long have you had the car? You say you bought it 'at the end of 2011' but lower down you reprted the low MPG to the dealer 2 months after purchase.

900 miles in 2 months + is quite a low mileage and could mean you've done lots of short journeys. For a brand new petrol car 39 mpg isn't bad, particularly for a small 1.4 engine which has to work hard to pull a medium-sized car along. It should improve when the car is run in, so the dealer is right to suggest you wait till it has done 2,000 miles.

One thing you can check is whether the brakes are binding slightly: find a very slight incline and see if the car runs freely downhill.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - Talking Hoarse

Maybe also check the tyre pressures - and blow them up as hard as VX say for the "EDO" or loaded pressures - at the expense of ride comfort of course. Little things will not be the solution but it all helps.

This car also has a turbo - start using it and mpg will plummet. The Astra is heavy so the temptation could be there.

OP says they get less than 300 miles between full ups - this is a good enough calculation for me and suggests mid 20s mpg - very poor.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - ChannelZ

This car also has a turbo - start using it and mpg will plummet.

No it doesn't.

The 100PS is the same old junk from the Corsa with VVT slapped on. It's AVAILABLE with a turbo, which has 138hp, which is just about adequate for the lump of lard that is the Mk6 Astra.

It's also totally unsuitable for a car the size of the Mk6 Astra, I had one as a rental and it was dire. Almost dangerous it was so slow. Couldn't even pass a truck on a climbing lane on the A628 between Manchester and Sheffield. We only got mid 20's mpg.

OP, I don't know what you expect - you bought a 1500kg car with a lawnmower engine, you're not going to get decent MPG unless you constantly drive down hill.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - dieseldogg

Erm, as an Ex 110BHP Galaxy driver & now in a 105BHP Octavia, I have never felt underpowered, the Octavia in particular I feel is plently powerful for general driving & 70mph plus Motorway work.

Anyway a modern 1.4 litre petrol engine should be well fit for an Astra sized car.

But, but, but its all under the control of the right foot, both performance & economy.

Edited by dieseldogg on 11/01/2012 at 10:27

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - skidpan

Erm, as an Ex 110BHP Galaxy driver & now in a 105BHP Octavia, I have never felt underpowered, the Octavia in particular I feel is plently powerful for general driving & 70mph plus Motorway work.

Anyway a modern 1.4 litre petrol engine should be well fit for an Astra sized car.

But, but, but its all under the control of the right foot, both performance & economy.

I am guessing you drive a diesel. We had a 108 bhp Focus TDCi, great car, plenty of power, very good economy. When we bought it we also tried the petrol version, first a 115 bhp 1.6 and it was dreadful then a 122 bhp 1.8 and it was little better. The diesels are turbo cars and give better low down power than petrols which feel very lacklustre on the road. OK, the petrol would probably leave the diesel in the traffic light grand prix and on top speed but in the big world its performance between 30 and 70 that really matters.

Personally I would expect a 1.4 non turbo in a modern heavy car like an Astra to be very underpowered, not driven one but after my experience in the 1.6 Focus I have no desire to.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - dieseldogg

Ah well see since I only buy a car every 12 or 15 years, I try & leapfrog to the latest/ bestest engine technology available at the time of purchase.

Hence my choice of the VW TDI in 1998 & the 1.6 TDI in 2010

And diesel diesel diesel , due to the low down torque, though as I commented elsewhere modern turbo petrols have improved tremendously, i.e. the 1.2 TSI VW unit.

I HATE those revvy screaming Honda units though I appreciate Honda's engineering skills and technology

cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg on 11/01/2012 at 11:25

My mistake on the turbo, I missed the 100ps.

If it doesn't have a turbo mid 20s is dire. I've just been out and about in my 1500 kg B class with a 1.5 petrol - 20 miles averaging 20mph and it did 39 mpg.

I HATE those revvy screaming Honda units though

VTEC=all the lag of a turbo but with no boost at the end!

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - madf

I HATE those revvy screaming Honda units though

VTEC=all the lag of a turbo but with no boost at the end!

That's why OAPs love driving Hondas.. 7,000rpm from cold when starting and reversing..

That's why OAPs love driving Hondas.. 7,000rpm from cold when starting and reversing..

Ha ha ha! If only they could use 7000RPM when going forwards...
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - madf

Ha ha ha! If only they could use 7000RPM when going forwards...

They do: in 1st gear...

You have wintessed my mother driving then Madf?,

Tthough in her defence she had a stroke 40 year ago & never recovered the proper use of her left leg.

Now quite why she could not be persuaded to drive an automatic????

We did try.

But Nope!

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - injection doc

I'm inclined to agree with Avant, whey too sooooon to judge MPG untill its loosened up some. This may take quite some Miles.

My 1st daughetrs C1 took 6000miles + before it suddenley realy perked up & MPG improved drastically & my 2 nd daughter one has just started to improve at 5300 miles.

My FR2 was in very low 20's till 9000 miles and now in mid 30's & my Wifes 1.6TDCi used to do between 38-42 untill 6000 miles then started to shoot up, now returns 53-60 constant.

The only other two checks would be a quick emmissions test at an MOT centre, see if someone could check it just for a drink, and 2nd make sure your radiator is remaining cold untill temp gauge reaches normal ! just incase your stat is faulty. If the Rad is starting too warm when temp at 1/4 then somethings wrong.

Short trips are always gpoing to guzzle the juice.

25mpg is pretty awful Doc!

Good point about the faulty stat. I'd be looking at the plugs and the exhaust tail pipe for evidence of a seriously rich mixture. We're looking at mileage about 40% below what it should be-that's not just new engine tightness.

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - bazza

Interesting as we have just replaced a 1.9 tdi which was written off with a 1.6 mpi petrol, I find it fine to be honest, thought it would be dog slow but just need to adapt driving style to be in general a gear lower when acceleration is required. Keeps up with the traffic nicely and spins nicely up when asked. Biggest difference is it's spinning a lot quicker at motorway rpms but that's not really an issue, as overall it's hugely quieter and more refined than the diesel. I do think that big diesels are terrific for their easy low down pull though, but that does make us lazy drivers with the gearstick. I've re-discovered the pleasure of accelerating smartly up through the gears with a nice (quiet,smooth) rev band! And it handles nicer too, with much less of a nose-heavy understeer. Plus of course, no DMF, no DPF, no turbo, no direct injection to go wrong, so am happy so far.

I've driven the 1.4 Mk6 Astra and while it's very refined, it was indeed desperately lacking in pull unless thrashed, with subsequent poor .economy.

Our Octavia 1.6 mpi is averaging 42 mpg right now .

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 VVT 100PS 2012 MODEL(Brand New) Low MPG / Sale of goods Act - jimmythefish77

I hired an astra from hertz, i assume it was a 1.4 as it had no power at all, and over 120 mile of driving I had to top up 21 L of unleaded. I calculated mpg to be 24mpg (assuming it was brimmed when I took it out which it probably was not but still well under 30 mpg for a 1.4 petrol car was terrible). I was probably a bit heavy on the throttle (as it was dead) as my normal car is a 1.8 petrol turbo golf, which last week i achieved 39mpg on a run. btw the astra had 7k miles on the clock. I used to have a 1.2 corsa and never got less than 42mpg no matter how I drove it.