I need a car that is easy to work on - JonestHon

Money is really tight in the last two years after two redundancies and much lower pay in the current position.

Last week our diesel Rover was sent to the Rover dealer in the sky after 9 years of cheap and reletivley trouble free motoring. We need wheels for the household and a 100 miles a week commute.

Hubby is handy with all things mechanics, the budget is up to 3000 and there are three main points he insist we should go by (I am the main driver so I will do the choosing) 1.Easy to work on and service 2. Full history 3. The youngest vhicle for our money.

I am struglling, I really am, I cannot find which cars from the last ten years are easy to work on??

I went to see a 2005 petrol Ford fusion and everything is very accesible but I am not sure about the reliability of this model etc'

Is there a list somewhere of cars that are easy maintained and fixed diy?

I need a car that is easy to work on - veryoldbear

This is one of the great problems. The days when you could fix a car with a couple of screwdtrivers, a mole wrench and a bed spanner seem to have long gone. Now you lift the bonnet and have problems even identifying what it all is ...

Maybe don't think about the youngest car: go for an older car with a low mileage. You're more likely to find one that you can do things to without having to plug it into the laptop and have a bunch of "special tools" to hand.

Edited by veryoldbear on 11/12/2011 at 13:14

I need a car that is easy to work on - gordonbennet

Daughters 04 Civic 2.0 litre is enjoyable to work on, things come undone easily and simply and apart from the oil filter which really needs the OSF wheel removing to get at easily is one of the simplest cars i've touched in recent years, brakes etc are straighforward and well made, adjustable tappets on the VTEC, Aux drive belt is removed and refitted by the use of one spanner to simply lever the constant tension adjuster, gearbox oil change in 10 miutes sat beside the nsf with wheel removed....could qualify as one of the last cars from the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mould....add in total reliability.

I understand modern Toyota's are good in this respect too, though my most recent was a Hilux which though simplicity itself probably isn't what you want..;)

Corolla would be an excellent bet, one the most reliable cars ever made imo, all models.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/12/2011 at 13:30

I need a car that is easy to work on - brum

apart from the oil filter which really needs the OSF wheel removing to get at easily is one of the simplest cars i've touched in recent years, brakes etc are straighforward and well made, adjustable tappets on the VTEC, Aux drive belt is removed and refitted by the use of one spanner to simply lever the constant tension adjuster, gearbox oil change in 10 miutes sat beside the nsf with wheel removed...

Adjustable tappets - crikey!! I thought they went out with side valve engines. Most proper engines have hydaulic (self adjusting) tappets. Gearbox oil change - again all vehicles I've owned over the last 30 years have had lifetime gearbox oil fill.

Easy Oil Filter change (I like the engines with filters mounted on the top of the engine in full view) and access to drain plug (or a vacuum oil extractor pump) are the most important bits as 85% of servicing should be just oil and filter change. Next is the spark plug accessibilty followed by brake disc/pads. I personally feel all round disc brakes is a better diy bet than disc/drum. I believe some Citroen (c4) discs are comlete units with wheel hub - so avoid those like the plague.

I nowadays also avoid cambelt based engines.

I need a car that is easy to work on - Avant

I agree with Toyota Corolla:in you position I'd choose between the Toyota Corolla and the old-shape (pre-2007) Honda Civic. Also look at the Ford Focus as there are lots to choose from in all price ranges, and Ford parts are easy to come by.

Don't go for another diesel: more modern diesels than your Rover have expensive components that are liable to major, and expensive, failure.

I need a car that is easy to work on - jamie745

Cars havent been friendly to the DIY'er for 20 years let alone 10. Out of your £3,000 budget, have a good hunt around for cars in the £1k sort of area, if you're not overly picky then you'll be amazed what you can pick up for that sort of money now, especially petrol models as people keep buying into the false economy of getting a diesel supermini on Finance. Keep £2,000 sat there for if anything goes wrong but if you choose wisely it shouldnt do. Ideally you want something petrol, probably no older than 10 years, full history, undesirable sort of car, low miles. The sort of car which feels younger than its numberplate would suggest.

People think any car over 5 years old is a massive bill waiting to happen, it isnt, if you choose right and hunt well you can benefit from people believing such nonsense by picking up a bargain.

I do love cheap car hunts! Can i come?

I need a car that is easy to work on - unthrottled

Good advice. A £1000 car has a maximum liability of £1000. This fact alone is incredibly liberating.

Are you mocking me or agreeing with me? You're such a strange fellow i never can tell.

I need a car that is easy to work on - Avant

What's so strange? If you pay £1,000 you scrap the car if a repair is going to cost more than that. It's called Bangernomics.

Edited by Avant on 11/12/2011 at 23:05

I'd say thats more Shedanomics really. Bangers are your £500 rotboxes, you can get alot of car for £1000-£1500 now.

Empthatically agreeing with you Jamie. Bangernomics has served me well in the past and ,touch wood, continues to serve me well. One day I'll make a reckless purchase-but only when finances comfortably permit.

Going to splash out on a 1998 Megane are you? ;)

I'd still call cars around 1k 'sheds' rather than 'bangers' though, if you open the scope to £2k its remarkable what you can get for that sort of money now if you know what you're looking for. My advice to the OP would be to not fall into the trap of getting something like a 7 series, they are comically cheap now but running them wont be. Stick to undesirable versions of undesirable cars, your typical Focus/Mondeo/Vectra sort of fare, even examples which have been well cared for, garaged, one owner etc still wont be worth anything so will be going cheap. Peoples perception of car value really is strange, people driving 11 plate hatchbacks which cost more than twice what i paid for my Jaguar tell me i must get paid too much.

'96 actually!

Running a 7 series is not likely to be cheap-even if nothing goes wrong.

Granted, £2k gets a much better car than £1k. But if you have a total budget of £2k that leaves you with nothing for maintainance.

Ah but if you have £3,000 then you might as well look for cars in the 1.5-2k bracket and bank the rest. Ideally you'd be looking for something straight and solid with a years MOT, theres no need to resort to starship mileage rustboxes in this sort of price range anymore. Consider Korean cars too as they're generally screwed together pretty well and are dirt cheap, uninspiring to own and drive but you might get something 2-3 years newer than a mainstream European make.

I need a car that is easy to work on - gordonbennet

''Consider Korean cars too as they're generally screwed together pretty well and are dirt cheap, uninspiring to own and drive but you might get something 2-3 years newer than a mainstream European make''.

I deliberately left Korean cars out of my post Jamie, like you i believe they are good cars but the OP is wanting easy to work on and some Korean cars have nasty surprises in store.

For example Hyundai Coupe and Elantra (don't know what else has this strange design but i belive Matiz does for one) have front discs fitted from behind the hub, stupid idea but there it is, i believe FWD Transits are like this so not just the Koreans at it.

I helped my son put new front dics on his Coupe, remove entire suspension legs (hub carrier anyway), that was fun as the bolts are not rust resistant like Honda/Toyata models i've worked on, take suspension leg to engineering shop (who only charged us £20 as i recall) with suitable press, you ain't doing this in a vice, get bearings pressed out which wrecks them, resulting in 4 new front wheel bearings to be pressed in.

The bearings are seriously expensive so fitting new discs and pads yourself which should cost say £80 for a comparable car ended up costing £350+ some 7 years ago, thats if you do the donkey work yourself.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/12/2011 at 14:53

Yes perhaps but my point was that very few cars from the last 20 years are easy to work on, we say that as a criticism but if you're on a limited budget for a used car then it can also be a blessing as it limits what an unqualified wollybrain mightve done to it in the past. So if cars are difficult to work on then the next best thing you can do is get something which hopefully wont need much work or if it does then have money there for that eventuality.

I need a car that is easy to work on - TeeCee

As others have mentioned, cars these days are not just spanners and screwdrivers.

However, there is an answer to that problem: Any Vauxhall a few years old and a copy of OP-COM off eBay. Costs peanuts and allows you to do all the fault reading, diagnostics, programming and reset work.

Also parts are cheap and widely available.

I need a car that is easy to work on - madf

It's trite but the easiest cars to work on are usually the ones you rarely need to work on.

I would agree about Toyotas: layouts and materials are v high quality.

You can buy an excellent Corolla for £2k .. and well maintanied it will last 10 years +.

I'm not sure that the 'complexity' of modern cars is what makes them difficult to work on.

A lot of the complicated components are unlikely to go wrong in the lifetime of the car. The biggest problem is lack of space to work in. Add to that, myriad fastener heads-increasingly TTY and hence single use, spot welds replacing bolts etc and things start to get very awkward for the DIYer.

I need a car that is easy to work on - Ian Chaplin

Avoid anything French. Megane N/s Headlight blew and took out a fuse. Both very inaccessible and ended up costing £80 for a garage to fix.

I need a car that is easy to work on - focussed

Brum posted:-

"Adjustable tappets - crikey!! I thought they went out with side valve engines. Most proper engines have hydraulic (self adjusting) tappets."

You need to get out more! Or rather, get under a few more bonnets!

Here's a video detailing how to adjust valve clearances on a Honda S2000 motor.

237 hp at 8300 rpm - redline fuel cutoff at 8800 rpm.

Spanner, screwdriver and feeler gauge only required!

www.google.com/search?q=adjusting+valve+clearances...0

I need a car that is easy to work on - Bromptonaut

"Adjustable tappets - crikey!! I thought they went out with side valve engines. Most proper engines have hydraulic (self adjusting) tappets."

What are faults/limits with hydraulic tappets?

My 2005 Berlingo 1.9D had tappets set with shims. As valve and seat wore over 100k+ miles valves sat higher and clearances cold reduced to point cold starts were an issue with misfires, smoke etc.

Solution involved new shims and camshaft in/out shaken all about at cost of £500 but problem was solved.

I need a car that is easy to work on - RT

What are faults/limits with hydraulic tappets?

My 2005 Berlingo 1.9D had tappets set with shims. As valve and seat wore over 100k+ miles valves sat higher and clearances cold reduced to point cold starts were an issue with misfires, smoke etc.

Solution involved new shims and camshaft in/out shaken all about at cost of £500 but problem was solved.

Hydraulic tappets/lash adjusters are fine when a car is maintained well - ie correct specification of oil changed at tyhe correct interval - the problem arises once they're out of that as the oil starts carbonising and blocking the tiny relief channel for the tappets or lash adjusters - once that happens, even oil flush is simply going to move the debris somewhere else.

I need a car that is easy to work on - carl233

Adjustable tappets - crikey!! I thought they went out with side valve engines. Most proper engines have hydaulic (self adjusting) tappets. Gearbox oil change - again all vehicles I've owned over the last 30 years have had lifetime gearbox oil fill.

I think you will find many engines today still have tappets that need some form of check with potential adjustment although at much higher miles than it was in the past. Ford switched a number of engines to hydraulic in the 90's only to change strategy and go back.

Gearbox oil for life is typically for a shorter life than if it was changed. I tend to change gearbox oil every 80-100k my current vehicle is on 246k miles and has had two gearbox oil changes and the box is like new.

I need a car that is easy to work on - focussed

If you want something that is easy to work on - get an old mini-metro, it's easy to to work on but you'll be working on it just about every weekend!

I need a car that is easy to work on - Gibbo_Wirral

This thread was created in 2011, I imagine the OP bought something long ago.

Its only been bumped back into life because someone felt the need to slate a French car because they got stung once.

I need a car that is easy to work on - Wais

Pegueot 106 or Citroen saxo.

Peugeot engine is s*** and a fail copy off the citroen with its head gasket that sends the car out of business but doing a timing belt on it is lovely and you got lots of room, citroen is nice but it'll just rust