In-Car Cameras & Insurance Policies - happy polo

Hi All,

A question I'm curious to find the answer to. I'll be upgrading the runabout next year and I'm seriously tempted to fit a car-cam in the windscreen. I'm wondering how this works with the insurance bods though. Obvisouly such a device is of significant benefit to them in the event of any claim, but presumably they still consider such fitments as a modification to the vehicle? So one has to wonder whether it affects the policy. I'd like to think that no sane insurance company would hike a premium to cover equipment fitted largely for their benfit, but then we all know what they're like. If you don't declare it and at some point produce the footage as evidence, I can just imagine a smug claims assessor politely advising you that you're not covered anyway so bye bye.

So, any experiences in this department?!

In-Car Cameras & Insurance Policies - injection doc

I have them in 4 of my cars. Never mentioned to an insurance company as its no more of a modification than a sat nav !

I have used one in eveidence, cleared up a claim in matter of days that also led to a prosecution of the offender, no hassle with ins company at all and infact they welcomed such eveidence as it saves them a fortune if its used to claim off another party.

The cam system I used had GPS location, speed, video,X,Y & Z axis G force sensor graph & audio recording as well.

Job done !

In-Car Cameras & Insurance Policies - happy polo

Wow, quite a set-up then! What was the cost of all that roughly, and how do you power 4 cams?!

In-Car Cameras & Insurance Policies - injection doc

I have one camera in each car ! & i have hard wired them, but they can scource of the cig socket and if you need more sockets for sat nav & phone then just buy an adaptor, although most of my cars have more than 2 sockets anyway.

They cost me 199.00 each & being as my excess is £250 it makes them cheap.

www.roadhawk.co.uk

In-Car Cameras & Insurance Policies - oldroverboy

Got a non gps one which is very discreet, hidden by the rear view mirror, non gps, but time and date stamped, got sound, £30 on amazon (other online stores are available) does the job. ins co said ok no reduction in premium, but it's there to protect me.