Golf 1.6 auto 2002 - Won't start from hot or after short journeys - sus68

Car won't start when the weather is hot or after a journey or two. I've changed three different sensors; 02 sensor, Cam sensor and lambert sensor. Changed the ignition coil pack which was corroded and the fuel pressure gauge. The VW dealer can't find anything wrong and nothing is coming up on the diagnostics. whatever the problem is, is killing the sensors in the car. I've spent so much but I am ready to admit defeat. Could it be anything to do with the ECU sensor or wiring (?), read something on the internet. Please can someone help! Thank you

Golf 1.6 auto 2002 - Won't start from hot or after short journeys - unthrottled

The lambda sensor won't affect starting at all. When you say te 'fuel pressure gauge', do you mean fuel pressure regulator because that would be my first guess as to thge problem.

the lambend sensor was changed as it was showing has faulty on the diagnostic, but I think the 'fault' is causing the different sensors to fail. checking on the internet seems to be a common thread regarding the temperature sender, any thoughts? thanks for responding so quick

Golf 1.6 auto 2002 - Won't start from hot or after short journeys - spacem_uk

If it won't turn, is it the safety cut off in the gear selector? Our 1.8 auto went through a stage of not starting which was very intermittant, cleaned out a load of fluff and dust out from under the cover by the gear select and all was well again.

it turns over but won't catch, thanks

I will check under the cover though :-)

Edited by sus68 on 02/08/2011 at 22:50

Golf 1.6 auto 2002 - Won't start from hot or after short journeys - elekie&a/c doctor

Poor starting relating to engine temp is conducive with a faulty engine coolant temp sensor.probably the #1 sensor failure on any vag engine.Often does not show faulty as it is still working within the engine control unit parameters but does not produce the correct temp sensor reading related to engine temp.A typical example of a computor being very clever but got no brain.hth