Benzene toxins - Ben 10

Anyone else heard of these findings.

According to research, the car dashboard, seats, air freshner and fittings emit Benzene, a carcinogenic toxin.In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons bone tissue, causes anemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure could cause Leukemia and an increased risk of cancer.

Acceptable Benzene levels indoors is 50mg per sq. ft. A car parked under cover with windows closed could contain anywhere between 400-800 mg of Benzene.If parked outdoors under the sun at temperatures above 60 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000mg, 40 times the acceptable level.

People who get into a car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin.Benzene apparently affects the kidney and liver. And it is difficult for the body to expel this toxin.

The advice is to open the windows and door of your car giving time for the build up to dissipate before you enter the car. And turn on the AC acouple of minutes after getting in.

Benzene toxins - unthrottled

50mg/sq ft over what time scale? Nobody drives with the windows shut, air con off when it's warm, do they? be careful about attention grabbing headlines!

Benzene toxins - 1litregolfeater

Yeah of course, been known for a long time, some kind of sad greek irony that those that go looking for youth and happiness only find the opposite!

I spent today fixing a petrol car some berk had filled with diesel so there goes 6 months of autumn skies and summer butterflies

Benzene toxins - turbo11

Having worked with Asbestos, Carciogenic race fuels, Genklene, Arklone, Perklone, Acetone, Thinners, Methanol etc. for the last 35 years, I don't think I will worry about a few smells from my car interior. We once had a visitor pass out at work due to the fumes. We were so used to them that we couldn't even smell them.

Benzene toxins - turbo11

PS- I forgot to mention that the qualifying fuel in the eighties used to give us nose bleeds and sore throats for a week after every race.nice!

Benzene toxins - captain chaos

Nobody seems to be too concerned about the carcinogenic toxins in diesel fumes... ;)

Benzene toxins - Bobbin Threadbare

I wouldn't panic too much about it - lots of plastics are coated in toxic chemicals and benzene is just a ring chain hydrocarbon. Don't lick your dashboard ;-P

I agree; you can't smell stuff after a while! (Having worked with some nasties including acetone, toluene, various cryogens and some manky varnish used to make solenoids)

Fuel is far more toxic.

Benzene toxins - unthrottled

Fuel is far more toxic.

But it smells SOO good.

80s F1 race fuel? Not a patch on nitromethane. The exhaust gas is basically nitric acid. That really catches your throat!

I'm afraid I was too little in the 80s to have got anywhere near an F1 track, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I've got some burns from nitric acid. Boy does it make your eyes water!

In WWI the pilots used castor oil for lubricant in their planes. The vapours from that gave them the runs!

Benzene toxins - nortones2

Don't know where the OP gets his numbers from, but mg per square foot seems odd and may be American. Here, occupational exposure limit for benzene is 1 ppm over an 8 hour day, which relates to breathing it in. I'm not up to date on this so it may have changed. However, I suspect that the substance referred to in plastics is not benzene, but benzine! A petroleum derived solvent, toxic but not in the same category as benzene. 50 ppm rings a bell, but I haven't got access to EH40, the list of occupational exposure figures issued by HSE.

Benzene toxins - Vitesse6

I can't see there being between 2 and 4 grams of benzene vapour in a car parked in sunshine. This amount is probably getting close to being an explosive mixture.

Figures for benzene would be in the region of 50 parts per million as quoted above - Xylene which is similar had an exposure limit of 100ppm, but at levels much lower than that the smell was very strong indeed, I have never come across any solvent levels like than in a parked car.

EH40 says that the benzene limit is 1ppm for 8 hour reference period (3.25mg m^-3). I reckon it's close to explosion limits too but it's hard to find it out.

Benzene toxins - galileo

EH40 says that the benzene limit is 1ppm for 8 hour reference period (3.25mg m^-3). I reckon it's close to explosion limits too but it's hard to find it out.

The explosive concentration limits for acetylene in air are 2.6% to 80% . Benzene is polymerised acetylene - I'd think it unlikely that any concentration in air less than 2 % ( 20,000ppm) would be explosive.

Awesome. Thanks Galileo.

They used to process coffee with benzene to take out the caffeine. Yummo.