Renault Grand Modus - Warranty Repairs - notahope

I own a Grand Modus which a few weeks from expiry of the warranty. On several occasions it has had a intermittent fault in that it after fuel has been put in the fuel gauge does not change. The "gauge" consists of coloured blocks which "light up" on a black ground to show how much fuel is in the tank.

Last week it showed one empty block so I filled the tan until the pump cut out. The gauge still showed one unlit block even though the tank was actually full.

I reset the trip and 7 miles later a second block was unlit implying even less fuel than before in the tank.

I have reported this three times to the dealer but all they do is fill the tank and as the fault is intermittent it's been OK each time. But as the warranty is nearly over I want the problem resolved ie parts replaced. What is my legal position can I insist they replace every component involved in sensing and displaying the fuel level in order to solve

this please?

What if they refuse?

Help and advice gratefully accepted.

Doug.

Edited by notahope on 02/05/2011 at 07:46

Renault Grand Modus - Warranty Repairs - LucyBC

Fuel gauge inaccuracy is a particularly annoying problem as it is important you know where you are in respect of continued mileage. Running out of fuel late at night in an area you don't know is no trivial issue.

If the garage accept there is a problem - and there clearly is - then the part should be rectified by the systematic replacement of the possible faulty parts and this should be done within the warranty period.

Write to the garage explaining that you want this done. Alternatively contact me via asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk with more information and I will write to them on your behalf.

Renault Grand Modus - Warranty Repairs - notahope

Hi.

Thank you. I shall put my request in writing but first l shall ask them to replace the parts and if they refuse I shall hand them the letter.

If they then continue to refuse what is my next step, consult a solicitor or Trading Standards?

Thank you again for showing an interest in my problem. I'll let you know how I get on.

Renault Grand Modus - Warranty Repairs - LucyBC

Trading Standards won'r be interested. They onlr really deal with criminal matters with a possibility of a prosecution. You probably need to come back to me via asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk to see iof we can mediate or pressuruse for a resolution.