Who Pays - Ben 10

Hi Lucy,

Car leaves the road and collides with your wall at front of your house. As the homeowner do you claim on your house insurance or claim on the car drivers insurance?

If I have to claim on my house insurance I have to pay the first £100 or so. How do I claim that back. And are there any rules that mean I wont be able to get this money back. Seeing as I would regard it as his /her fault they demolished part of my property, why should I be out of pocket.

Who Pays - LucyBC

It's a claim against the motorist's insurance. You should claim directly against the at-fault third party insurer.

I can deal with it on your behalf if you wish. Send me contact details to asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk if you need more information.

Best wishes

Who Pays - Ben 10

I wish I had heard of you a few years ago!

We claimed on our home insurance. On instructions of the police who attended. Paid the excess and had gates, railings and block paving replaced. Bill went to my home insurers who were to claim the excess back from third party. They came back and said that the driver had blacked out, so as the accident damage was due to a medical condition, they would no persue for the excess amount. So I was out of pocket for someone elses prang into my property. I also had to put up with wasted time getting quotes and work being done.

Bearing in mind that as a member of the emergency services, I tended to this individual and made sure he was kept alive, until the ambulance arrived. At no time did he or his wife thank me, apologise for the damage or offer to pay the excess themselves at a later more appropriate stage. I wish I hadn't been so benevolent and will consult the likes of yourself if this ever happens again. But thanks for the offer Lucy. I was just finding out whether we were treated properly.

Who Pays - Vitesse6

How long ago was it? - any chance you could still sue him for your losses?

Who Pays - RT

Ben10 - I don't see why the driver blacking out removes the liability from his insurance company - my untrained understanding is that you or your household insurer would have been able to claim all costs back from the driver's car insurance - seems surprising that your household insurer didn't tell you.

Who Pays - LucyBC

Not so I am afraid. In the old adage there has to be "blame if there is a claim" and if the driver had been comatose, incapacitated or (as sometimes happens, dead) there might be no negligence.

In these circumstances the claimant has to show that the defendant by their negligence had placed others in harm's way.

So if - for example - there was a pre-existing heart condition, brain tumour or epilepsy then the claim would be likely to succeed as the defendant would have been aware of the risk, but if the condition had not been pre-diagnosed or warned then the claim would fail on the basis that the third party could not have been negligent and Ben10 would have been reliant on his own insurer to pay out.

Who Pays - RT

So if a car failed mechanically despite regular maintenance, which can/does happen from time to time, then neither the driver nor their insurer would be liable for any damage or injury to third parties?

That completely blows most people's idea of third party insurance.

Edited by RT on 03/04/2011 at 18:58

Who Pays - LucyBC

It depends on the situation. For example If a car failed mechanically and stopped dead and another vehicle ran into the back of it then the rear vehicle would be at fault for not being able to stop in time.

But if the suspension failed on the motorway causing the vehicle to change lanes and sideswipe another then the swerving vehicle would probably be ruled at fault as a result of the mechanical failure.

The incapacity of the driver is another matter and unless they had been warned that they were a risk there may well be no claim on their insurance.