Hyundai Santa Fe (2010) Manual - Clutch Smell & DMF - Jayveekay

Having bought this car new in September 2010, I've experienced the characteristic smell of the clutch burning on several occasions, usually when reversing up a slope or when skidding on ice. It appears I'm not alone amongst Hyundai owners, and I'm in the process of returning the car to the dealer for a full refund. However, it looks as though this clutch /DMF problem is widespread in modern diesels.

If I had selected an automatic version would I have still encountered this problem, or possibly another stack of issues please?

Hyundai Santa Fe (2010) Manual - Clutch Smell & DMF - injection doc
The problem with a clutch is that once its been burnt, the resins & binders properties have been altered & they will continue to smell everytime the clutch heats up!
Excessive use of the clutch or excess revs when pulling away, or holding on a hill will heat a modern clutch up exceedingly quick! Once burnt they often depoist some of the resin onto the flywheel as well.

The reason they get so hot is the fact that a diesel engine produces so much torque as very low revs so you don't notice your loading the clutch.

You won't experince this same issue with an Auto
Hyundai Santa Fe (2010) Manual - Clutch Smell & DMF - nelryan
Hi I bought a new Volvo xc60 in march 2010. Within 6 months and with less than 10,000 kms on the clock, my car went "up in smoke" one evening when I was sitting in rush hour traffic. The dealer advised that I was riding the clutch. I am in my late 30s and have had a full license for over 15 years. I have driven both manual and automatic cars in that timeframe and have never had any clutch related problems. Anyway, 4 months and a few solicitors letters later and I find myself having to take back the car because apparently DMF clutches are so sensitive that the slightest pressure on the pedal can cause the clutch to burn out. I just dont get it but apparently I don't hav a leg to stand on legally. So, the sooner I can trade this car the better! Just a pity the dealer didn't point out the sensitive clutch when I was committing to a 55,000 euro car!!!!!!