Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - tawse

Hi all,

I would welcome your thoughts on this please.

I posted back in the Summer about a curved scratch on my windscreen and was not sure whether it was some grit in the wiper blades that had caused it or whether it had been done deliberately. I think the former.

Anyhow, I asked for advice on how to get this out, etc, and after doing some research I found a glass polishing firm down in Devon who sell professioal scratch removal polish - they sell it in a kit form with pads to go on a drill to polish out the scratch.

I was not up to doing this - if I try to use a drill I probably would take out the planet - but I bought a bottle of their polish, some of their pads and spent a weekend polishing out the scratch. It was hard work but I did it - I could no longer see the scratch and felt that primeval caveman sense of satisfaction.

But this is why I am posting now.

Got in my car on Saturday morning and my eye was immediately drawn to a long vertical scratch on my windscreen, from top to bottom of the windscreen almost, directly in front of the passenger seat. It is a near perfect straight line so it is definitely done deliberately.

I can feel it with the nail of my finger and it is about a hair's width. In the bright sunshine it is very obvious.

I know it was not there the previous day as, well, I have been having some anxiety issues driving on dual carriageways and only the previous day a friend of mine, retired stress counsellor, had sat in the car with me for 3 or 4 hours whilst he talked me through driving up and down a number of dual carriageways. Once we had done this I simply dropped him off home, drove home to my cul-de-sac, parked said car in drive and then saw the scratch on Saturday morning when I got in the car again.

So, I drive out to meet some friends on Saturday, rant at them about this scratch on the driver's side - it was a bright sunny day with clear blue sky - then drive home, parked car in drive again, did not look at it on Sunday but got in the car yesterday to go to a meeting and right in front of my driver's view was an almost identical scratch, albeit it feinter and thinner, on the driver's side of the windscreen directly in front of the steering wheel.

It is possible that I missed this second scratch on Saturday but I doubt it as Saturday was such a clear day and this second scratch is so noticeable - to me anyhow. I doubt I would have missed it as it was a clear sunny blue-skyed day. A friend looked at it yesterday by sitting in my driver's seat and she noticed both straight away.

The thing is - I live in a lovely, quiet cul-de-sac with the loveliest of neighbours. The only thing I can think is that the end of the cul-de-sac has a fence which borders the nearby comprehensive and sometimes kids jump over the fence as a shortcut between the school and nearby houses. Why anyone would want to do this is beyond me and, as I have had anxiety issues driving, I am not someone who drives around cutting people up, burning them off, etc.

Anyhow, I am digressing.

I don't know what to do now so I am seeking your advice on things. My gut reaction is not to do anything immediately just in case this is ongoing.

But longer-term do I spend several days trying to polish out these scratches or do I try and claim on the insurance?

The scratch in my driving line of view is very thin but very noticeable and distracting to me personally - but will an insurance person see it in the same way? Do they replace windscreens for this kind of thing?

I really do not know how to proceed folks so I would welcome any positive thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

T.

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - turbo11

Have you put your car through a car wash ?. 12 years ago I had a new BMW serviced by BMW's and they cleaned it in a car wash. It ended up with perfectly straight scratches up the screen and all the way down the roof.

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - injection doc
i was going to suggest car wash as well ? one of our fiesta's was damaged in this way and it took ages to crack where the damage was comming from ?

2nd is you suspect someone is damaging the screen then put up CCTV, that way you will know one way or another.
camera's now days can be zoned & focused on just one point and they can even be set to a sensativity setting so they only record when movement is detected so you don't have to trawl through hours of recording, I have a night vision superzoom and that records like daylight at night up to 60 mtrs away, 180+ft !
Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - Dutchie

These camaras are they expensive to buy and do they work on a television set ?What about fitting Injection doc is it a do it yourself job.I wouldt mind one for our drive always nice to have as a deterrent.

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - injection doc
Dutchie, depends on what you call expensive! , I have had such sucess with my incar camera that i decided what ever the cost one at home would be prudent,with all the police cut backs etc, a welcome site for criminals!

I purchased 4 camera set with DVR, 500g box that records about 4-5 months worth then overwrites. I spent extra on the night super camera and thats worth it weight in gold. Took me 3 days to fit pottering, suspended under the soffit boxing and routed all the cables through the loft & fitted the DVR in a box near the loft hatch as it has a remote. Then one cable from the DVR to a TV.
Cost me £465.00 but you can get sets for about £295.00 but it was quality I wanted. Cameras only record when they detect motion so living in a close I have run play back sometimes and they are only triggered off once or twice in the night , more often by the Bats, flying around or cats walking across the gardens.
The night vision camera glows like a jet engine in the dark so a little obvious but then its a good deterent.
I also have one hidden by the front door to get a good facial close up.
Hopefully will never need it & I have to remember now and again to check just to make sure its all working. You can access the DVR by phone when your away . Cob webs are a pain so make sure if you fit them you can reach them to clean. The cameras are alarmed as well so if some one cut a cable an alarm sounds in the house. Its all pretty clever stuff these days ( apart from my spelling apparently, sorry )

I must admit that wasn't nice the spelling remark.I have been told off about tea and biscuits being polite to people.I was a handfull a few years ago I am older now water of a ducks back.I wish I had a quarter of your engineering knowledge.I used to work with a self taught engineer working on Gardner ship engines very clever man .Don't let it get to you Injection doc there are a lot of people who appreciate your advice I do! Thanks for commenting about the camaras I have a look around. Its a shame we have to think about security but the cutbacks at the moment will effect all of us.(sorry about my spelling also) :)

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - Roly93

Have you put your car through a car wash ?. 12 years ago I had a new BMW serviced by BMW's and they cleaned it in a car wash. It ended up with perfectly straight scratches up the screen and all the way down the roof.

Car washes are the ruination of many vehicles, none of ours ever go in them. All it takes is a tiny bit of broken glass or sharp grit to be held in one of the brushes and thats it paint-job ruined. Much better to let people with questionable immigration status wash the car !

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - tawse
Thanks all - no, not put the car through a car wash. Get it hand washed and the car was last watched a few weeks back.

I was looking more for advice on what to do re the damage - i.e. getting the windscreen changed re insurance or trying to polish them out myself again.

I had considered cameras but am really shocked by things as the area I live is pretty gentle... but I suppose it only takes one person doesn't it.

Hello tawse,I live in a quet cul de sac but sometimes you dont know what people get up to.

Try polishing again and if it works fine.If not go for a new windscreen through the insurance.The third option If it does't bother you leave it .

Don't worry to much tawse live is to short.

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - turbo11

I have in the past managed to polish out small scratches with a tube of whitening toothpaste, cotton cloths and lots of elbow grease. Your scratch sounds like it might be too deep, but worth a try. If that fails and the scratches annoy you that much (as they would me)then I would use a hammer and claim for a new one!!!.

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - tdc

My other arf has a habit of scratching everything in sight,including me if I don`t watch out,not with her fingernails(meow!)but with the rings on her fingers.She`s not blinged-up or diamond-encrusted but seems to scratch paintwork,glass....especially her car windscreen and paint around door locks,wooden toilet seats etc.Not an issue for divorce,however there`s not a domestic bone in her body and I would be in total shock if she suddenly chose to de-ice the screen on my vehicle!

Honda CRV - Someone has scratched my windscreen - need advice - Flying Scotsman

I think that Honda glass is a bit soft. After two hard winters of scraping ice of the windscreen, the windscreen on my 2008 CRV is badly scratched. I successfully polished out a deep scratch on my Bristol 406 (replacement glass for these is like hen's teeth) using one of the kits with the polishing mop on a drill mentioned earlier. I'm going to give my CRV screen a go with the kit. If you are going to do this, mask off the rest of the car and wear some old clothes as the polish gets everywhere!