Panoramic Sunroof - Has anyone had problems? - wazza

Looking to buy a car fitted with a panoramic sunroof. It is a sunroof that goes from the windscreen to the back of the car. Was wondering how strong they are and if anyone had problems with them cracking etc. Like the front windscreen the sunroof is part of the stuctute of the car and was wondering how will it stand potholes, rough roads etc. Ford S-max owners have reported seeing crack in the sunroof after a few years. Nissan brochure says they are very strong.

Just that in the past i had a cricket ball smash through my small sunroof on a '96 mondeo.

I am aware that the sunroof is very strong but i leave my car parked on the main road overnight. Some time ago i was woken up one night by drunks. One of them was standing on a taxi's roof taking a leak. True this type of behaviour is not common where i live but what will happen if he stood on my roof? Will the glass crack with this plonker jumping up and down? Can anyone stand on their panoramic roof and see if it takes their weight? Just joking.

Have rang my current insurers and they say it is not covered under windscreen cover and that i have to put a claim in which can affect my NCB in the long run. (Have not bought the car yet, just asked them what if i had a car with a panoramic sunroof)

Panoramic Sunroof - Has anyone had problems? - daveyjp

Our first smart had one - it was an early model and reports of roofs breaking was not uncommon.

General opinion was it caused by flying stones hitting the leading edge. Back then some insurance companies classed it as glass repalcement and only a windscreen excess was payable.

We never had a problem with ours.