BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - Blue {P}

Hi all, I'm looking to fit winter tyres to my Z4 this year, I've settled on the Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes but can't decide between the two speed ratings. The car normally wears V rated tyres, but I can get the winter tyres in H rating for less money and I have a feeling that the compound may be softer and grippier.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other which one would be better? My insurers state that I can fit whichever ones I want.

Thanks!

Blue

BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - gordonbennet
I doubt there'd be any difference in the rubber compound but if you are happy getting the lower speed rating and indeed insurance are, then do so.
Just bare in mind that should you think about changing insurance companies the next one might have a different opinion of speed ratings.

We use Wintrac Extreme's on the pick up, it's always a battle persuading SWMBO that it's time to put the summer set back on such is the sure footedness of them in any cold conditions.

If you've found them at decent prices then get them sharpish, winter seems a long way off but with the shortage of snowflake marked tyres last year when amazingly enough winter turned up they might sell out a bit quicker this time.
BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - Peter D

Where abouts in the country do you live. Regards Peter

BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - Blue {P}

Sunderland, if you know of any good suppliers feel free to let me know! :-)

BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - Collos25

Here in Germany winter tyres are limited to 120kmh they are deignated winter if they have a snowflake embossed on them you are also required to put a 120kmh sticker inside the car to remind you.

BMW Z4 - Winter tyre speed rating question - Brit_in_Germany

Andy B's posting is not quite accurate - winter tires are available in a variety of speed ratings. If the rating is less than the rating required for the car, a sticker is used to remind the driver not to exceed the tire rating. Since my car is on winter tires for six months of the year, I use tires suitable for the maximum speed of the car.

Biggles

I.ll stand corrected but I thought that winter tyres with the snowflake are restricted but M&S tyres arn't thats how I read the ADAC advice.

Your correct I have just found some winter tyres for my car rated at 210kmh mind you 120 is quite fast eough for me.German law starts to get complicated because they take into account the weather at the time.Just thinking about winter tyres makes me shiver.