Bristol 403 - Dispute over charges - Kingjohn

Largely as a result of favourable articles in the Telegraph I sent my car to a restorer to be made roadworthy. At the time he said that he would not put anything on paper because of previous legal problems and he has been true to his word apart from sending periodic invoices over the last year and a half.

A dispute has arisen over the cost of rewiring the car. Out of the blue I received an invoice from the electrician. When I asked my restorer what it was about he said he didn't want to be involved in a dispute or make a profit on the charge and so had told the electrician to bill me direct. He also asked me to phone him which I did. The electrician said it was due to increased wage costs and additional work which consisted of cleaning the ignition swirch, earthing some equipment and repairing a windscreen wiper.

I have written to my restorer asking for a written explanation for the increase in costs (50% over an already high (in my and others I have asked) opinion) and a final cost to finish the car to which I have not received a reply.

My questions are what would you consider a reasonable price for rewiring a large early 1950's saloon car that has had the interior and engine stripped out and secondly how can I recover my car?