98 1.8 Black and white smoke - diddydiner
hi
been here before and asking again if anyone has any idea why my turbo diesle may be chucking out smoke in the mornings. i get thick white smoke first thing for a short while and the car is fine after that.. sometimes my car will rev up realy high with no help from me and chuck out thick black soot . had a bit of trouble with a diesle leak (and may have another) and at one stage had to much oil in the car. i have sorted that out. i had a return pipe for the diesle replaced tempary for now could this be the problem?? i dont drive it much only on very short jouneys.
98 1.8 Black and white smoke - jc2
Intermittent smoke and surging can be caused by air being sucked thro' the pump.If you only use it on short journeys,condensation in the exhaust will give white smoke.
98 1.8 Black and white smoke - Peter.N.
The white smoke you get on starting is unburnt fuel, could be that your glow plugs need replacing or that the compression is low, if it starts OK I wouldn't worry about it.

The black smoke and uncontrolled revs is something different, can you stop the engine by switching the ignition off when it does it? If not its running on lubricating oil which is usually cause by engine wear causing oil vapour to get into the air intake, or, it could be caused by a leaking turbo seal, or possibly just a problem with the crank case breathing system.
hi
i usually dont have to switch off as it only happens for a split second (if you know what i mean) as if you just reved up and then it comes down!!! but i know i can because i did the other day. this surge only happens now and then, could be weeks before it happens!!
what would it take if it was these problems? would it be much to get done do you think??is it worth it as i am thinking of selling the car although i wouldnt want to sell it if something bad could go wrong.
i dont want to spend if possible as i dont think i will get much for it although tax / mot d.
thanks for your reply
hi
thanks for your reply.
silly question air through which pump (silly dumb blonde)........
98 1.8 Black and white smoke - Peter.N.
You will probably find that the blue/white smoke on starting will diminish as the weather gets warmer, fitting a new set of glow plugs will probably improve it, about £25.00 plus fitting, not a very difficult job if you know someone who doesn't mind working on cars.

The surging I don't really know about without seeing it do it, unless its dangerous I wouldn't worry about it.

The car you have now is relativly simple and cheap to repair, if you like it I would stick with it as a newer one will be much more expensive to repair and probably not as reliable.