Diesel filled with unleaded - taxi iom 247
Just bought a 2001 Lupo,1.7 sdi,38k. My wife's dizzy friend filled this with unleaded last week & drove it less than 6 miles till it came to a stand.She hasnt even had any proper mechanical advice yet & just simply listened to the various horror stories about.Result was her hubby has gone out & bought her a new motor (more dosh than sense).So shes round tonight asking what to do with the Lupo,I asked what she wanted for it,replied 200, I choked on my whiskey,ran upstairs & came back with 10 twentys.Will tow it up to my indie 2morrow for the once over,im hoping for an easy fix as remember being told that the sdi type wouldnt be too affected by this.Hoping that ive got a real bargain here,will really get me loads of brownie points with the wife if she gets this little runaround.So what do you all out there think the worst diagnosis could be,im no mechanic & simply took a gamble,here's hoping!!!!!!!
Also its got that bright red vw paintwork,looking a bit weathered,never been handwashed or polished for ages.Any recommendations on what to use to bring it back to its former glory,so many polishes & cutting products available now,don't let my taxi's get to that stage,there clayed & polished 3 times yearly,usually use autoglym,but am currently using this new Turtle Wax ice stuff,although will be no use for this job.
All advice greatly appreciated,& a free dram for you if you ever visit the Isle of Man or a pillion ride round the TT course on my CBR600
Diesel filled with unleaded - rtj70
The SDi engine is not even a turbo diesel so won't be affected the same at all. SDi stood for Suction Direct Injection.

The problem with modern diesels and petrol is the diesel is used to lubricate the high pressure pumps. The SDi won't be injecting diesel at high pressure.
Diesel filled with unleaded - dieseldogg
Erm?
Diesel filled with unleaded - SteveLee
The problem with modern diesels and petrol is the diesel is used to lubricate the
high pressure pumps. The SDi won't be injecting diesel at high pressure.

Methinks you don't quite understand the implications of direct injection! The fuel pressure has to be > than the compression pressure in the combustion chamber or it won't inject!

Back to the thread I suspect it'll be okay - empty the tank, blow out the fuel lines and reprime with diesel. Should be fine.

The dangerous bit is getting rid of a full tank of petrol and the fact it's illegal to store more than 10 gallons on your domestic premises! I'm sure someone running a non catalytic converter petrol car will be glad of 12 gallons of free petrol contaminated with a hint of diesel. If you know someone with such a car, get a hand pump form machine mart and transfer it car to car.

Edited by SteveLee on 18/01/2010 at 14:53

Diesel filled with unleaded - Altea Ego
Methinks you don't quite understand the implications of direct injection! The fuel pressure has to
be > than the compression pressure in the combustion chamber or it won't inject!

Methinks you dont quite understand the implications of common rail. The injector pump has to gather up 1,600 bar of pressure. Its enough to inject diesel into your bloodstream
Diesel filled with unleaded - SteveLee
Methinks you dont quite understand the implications of common rail. The injector pump has to
gather up 1 600 bar of pressure. Its enough to inject diesel into your bloodstream

I know very well how common rail systems work, I was just pointing out that DI systems were the original "high pressure" diesels systems not implying that they are as high as CR.
Diesel filled with unleaded - rtj70
SteveLee, direct injection (non turbo) diesels do not inject diesel at very high pressure though do they. Do you know how much pressure a common rail or PD system uses? Aren't direct injection about 300 bar (ish).

Direct injection means the fuel is injected into the cylinders instead of a separate chamber. The use of turbos made this slightly more refined but the SDi is non-turbo so not a refined or indeed powerful engine.

I remember by brother having a Citroen with 1.7 turbo diesel engine. But that was not direct injection as far as I recall - but it was in the 80s.

Edited by rtj70 on 18/01/2010 at 17:04

Diesel filled with unleaded - CraigP
direct injection (non turbo) diesels do not inject diesel at very high pressure though do they.

Only about 300 bar!!! That 4,400 PSI in old money. Peugeot XUD engine (not common rail).

Poor mechanics have had arms amputated because an old style diesel injector has gone off whilst they were tinkering with it it's injected through the gloves / skin of the hand and requires amputation (if you survive...)
Diesel filled with unleaded - J Bonington Jagworth
Petrol does have some limited lubricating properties - hence the lead and its substitutes. It would help if there was some diesel in the tank before the refill, though.

I don't imagine there's much physical damage, but removing all the petrol will be a garage job, then you refill with diesel and cross your fingers!

The AA on the mainland have specially equipped vehicles for the purpose, but probably not on the IoM. We have the same problem on the Isle of Wight!
Diesel filled with unleaded - Altea Ego
In this engine it wont have caused any long term damge. Just get it drained, filled with new diesel and started up and it will be fine

You have a bargain my old son.
Diesel filled with unleaded - DP
I agree you will almost certainly get away with it, but for 200 notes, does it matter? It's worth more than that in parts!
Diesel filled with unleaded - oldnotbold
Does not have to be a garage job, but as said, empty, refill with derv, and Bob really is your mum/dad's male sibling.
Diesel filled with unleaded - CraigP
Some people just get all the luck! :-)

What a bargain.
Diesel filled with unleaded - Bill Payer
bright red vw paintwork looking a bit weathered

Red tends to do this - something about red pigment being more affected by UV light?

We had a red Peugeot that faded and it used to come up OK if waxed with coloured wax, but the effect only lasted a couple of months. Wear gloves if you do this, as the wax stains your hands!

Edited by Bill Payer on 18/01/2010 at 10:53

Diesel filled with unleaded - davidh
Is there a possibility that the cheap fix might cause friction between your yourselves and the people who sold you the car when they find out how cheaply it was sorted?

On successfully fixing it maybe a drink in it for the cars previous owner might be in order?
Diesel filled with unleaded - Pugugly
....or just suck your teeth when they asked how hard/expensive it was and say nothing.
Diesel filled with unleaded - J Bonington Jagworth
"the cheap fix might cause friction"

Doesn't sound like they care too much, but it's a fair point. Worth exaggerating the hassle a bit, perhaps, and hoping they don't browse here!
Diesel filled with unleaded - Waino
Maybe, being a bit dippy, she forgot to tell you that she hadn't put any oil in it either ;-)
Diesel filled with unleaded - Jcoventry
Seems like a real bargain, just checked AutoTrader and these Lupos seem to keep their value very well - saw a dealer trying to flog a Y reg with 18,000 miles for £3000!
Diesel filled with unleaded - oldtoffee
>>"the cheap fix might cause friction"

The OP didn't offer £200 for the car he asked her what she wanted for it, she told him and he paid it. Clearly he has suffered a Life of Brian moment and paid the full asking price without any haggling.

Diesel filled with unleaded - bathtub tom
I bought a moped for peanuts once that kept blocking it's jets - I'd cleaned them several times for the owner.

I had it for some time. It never caused me any problems as long as I remembered to turn off the petroil tap!

It created no hard feelings.
Diesel filled with unleaded - Avant
The OP's wife's friend is described as 'dizzy' . All he needs to do is regale her with the story of the blood, toil, tears and sweat it took to strip the engine down and get it going again.
Diesel filled with unleaded - taxi iom 247
i all,many many thanks for all the varied answers to my post.My little bargain just picked up this aft,running sweet as ,& ready for many more miles.Total cost,well my local indie was too busy following the recent freeze,a good friend who works at the local authority garage (usually working on plant,bin wagons,vans,roadsweepers & the lot) took it last week,drained all the fuel,dont care what he done with it,new fuel filter,service & thats it!!!!!! sorted.............
Anyway im keeping this wee red cuty,a little peice offering to her indoors.Thought about selling it on but to be honest (john) i couldnt do that,the car has a very sparse service history,& not sure if the misfueling will cause any damage in the future,so the decisions been made too keep the car in the family,it owes me nothing really.New timing belt @ tensioners go in @ wknd,then all ive to do is sort the doors out,thse have both dropped,a common thing on Lupos i understand.
So,how did i handle the scatty mol that i bought it from,did i feel guilty?,absolutley not,anyone that fills a vehicle with the wrong fuel,then listens to all the gossip mungers & goes & buys another car on the off chance that theirs is knackered,without even getting a mechanic to check it over,well their a salesmans dream,& chancers like me's dream too.As far as the previous owner is concerned,spent loadsa moneyon it,mega hassle etc etc etc,u know the story,& what would you do?????
Thanks again to all who replied
DAVE
Diesel filled with unleaded - Martin Devon
isn't it 2 gallons of petrol you can store and not 10??
Diesel filled with unleaded - Lygonos
www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/Kent/factsheets/FS40NE...f

Appears it is 20 litres (~4 gallons) in approved metal/plastic containers