Saving energy? - J Bonington Jagworth
Here's a fine example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, as it applies to traffic lights in cold weather. It seems that the 'low energy' LED lights used in some newer installations don't dissipate enough heat to keep themselves clear of snow!

wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/09/led-stoplights-fail.../

I suppose this might apply to vehicle lights, although I don't suppose it will be a real problem until LED headlights are invented...
Saving energy? - Dynamic Dave
I have recently noticed that my HID headlights don't generate enough heat to melt any snow or ice on the lenses. The halogen bulbs used to. Also when parking up against my metal garage door, the thermal heat emitted doesn't melt the ice on the door anymore unless I put the high beam lights on.
Saving energy? - J Bonington Jagworth
The price of progress, eh, DD? I have to admit that I didn't know about HID lamps until just now, but of course I shall be throwing them into the conversation at every opportunity from now on. I might even buy some if they're as good as they sound. What say you?
Saving energy? - rtj70
But when you clean the windscreen with the washers, every few washes will automatically clean the headlights with the headlight washers.... oh hang on that's the washers found on cars with factory fit HID lights ;-) Mine do it every third wash of the screen when the lights are on.
Saving energy? - bathtub tom
>>that's the washers found on cars with factory fit HID lights

You mean legal ones. ;>)
Saving energy? - rtj70
Not sure mine would shift ice mind. But then we ought to clean the lenses before setting out on a journey anyway and would we all rely on bulbs to melt ice?
Saving energy? - Ben 10
I have been clearing the lights on both our cars as well as the glass during this cold snap. Especially the rear lights/indicators. Common sense. See how bright they look compared to the doughnuts that can't be bothered, relying on the heat of the bulbs to melt ice and snow. Pure laziness. Compare those considerate drivers that do and those that don't, and see who is safer.
Saving energy? - Dynamic Dave
oh hang on that's the washers found on cars with factory fit HID lights ;-)

My washer system is froze up (the pipes and nozzles, not the reservoir bottle) so wouldn't make any difference if I had them fitted or not.
compared to the doughnuts that can't be bothered relying on the heat of the bulbs to melt ice and snow. Pure laziness.

I used to rely on the heat of the bulb to melt or soften the ice to make it easier to wipe the ice off the lenses. These past few days I've had to use a scraper on them. I finally managed to get the car in the garage last night (in a block that has a hill for access which was previously impossible to get up) and I noticed this morning a couple of small scratches have recently appeared in the polycarbonate lenses. Hopefully they'll polish out.
Saving energy? - L'escargot
.........I've had to use a scraper on them. ...........
.........I noticed this morning a couple of
small scratches have recently appeared in the polycarbonate lenses.

Duh!
;-)