04 2.0 gearbox problem, garage negligence? - topsparky
hi all,

I recently ran through some deep flood water in my car, some of which found it's way in to my engine and hence I was forced to have a replacement engine fitted through my insurance. Whilst the garage had the vehicle they 'kindly' decided to replace the clutch for me as they believed it to be on it's way out. They carried out this action without asking and then refused to release the car till the full ammount had been settled. Frustrating at first but I came to terms with the idea that this was for the best, now not 1000 miles later than having this work done the bearings in my gearbox have gone because the oil has leaked out. The garage now does not want to know and is expecting me to pay the full cost of repair, I'm left wondering how the two incidents can be untelqted and why I should have to pay for what to me appears to be a fault somehow related yo the works they carried out?

any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Richard
04 2.0 gearbox problem, garage negligence? - injection doc
The question first is where is the oil leak? had oil leaked out or had they forgot to refill ?
Was the oil in the gearbox water contaminated & did that cause the failure?
If the oil has leaked out of a drive shaft seal its possible ( only possible ) it was damaged when the shafts were either removed or refitted.
I would suggest an indendent inspection & report on oil loss & bearing failure & condition of seals. the drive shaft seals may just of been old or damaged!
If the bearings have failed becuse the oil has leaked out this would suggest possible gear damage as well as usually the gears burn & the hardening becomes damaged. If its just bearings honda boxes do & will fail in this way.
04 2.0 gearbox problem, garage negligence? - Robin the Technician
Hi richard,
It's unlikely the garage would have drained the oil out of the gearbox when they removed it. That said, you need to establish where the oil has leaked from - if its from the driveshaft seals then it could potentially be down to their negligence. Its always good practice to replace the seals when the shafts are removed. If they didn't and the oil has leaked out, then I would be saying its their fault. Usually when you disturb the seals, they leak - that's why you should replace them.

I think you need an independent assessment of the repair and whether there is any blame. You could of course be very unlucky - Honda gearbox bearings do go, but this is usually down to wear not oil starvation.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
04 2.0 gearbox problem, garage negligence? - Altea Ego
Any significant oil stains on the ground where you normally park your car?