03 2.2 ECU fault light - Alan High
I have a 2.2 diesel signum, the ECU fault light keeps coming on and putting the car into safe mode, the vacuum pump was changed, and fault was still apparent, i have now changed the airflow meter, and still getting the same fault with lots of black smoke from the exhaust, I have now put some injector cleaner in with the fuel what can I do next.
03 2.2 ECU fault light - Dynamic Dave
Have you had the fault code(s) read out, or have you just been guessing and changing random parts hoping the problem will go away?
03 2.2 ECU fault light - topbloke
check all the vacumn pipes for splits before you run out of money,Regards TB
The fault codes which lead to the VAC Pump and clutch switch been changed by the main dealer due to the following codes P0234 boost pressure control circuit negative no present. Trouble code P0704 incorrect clutch switch signal not present, trouble code P0400 EGR flow excessive. This was changed by the dealer at a cost of £267.57.

I after doing 1,000 miles I was still getting the same problems going into limp home mode on roundabouts and country roads it also seem to have lack of power, so took it back to dealer and it was showing some codes (I don't which this time) they said they think it could point to the air flow meter and quoted me £220 to change this I turned them down on this offer and got one off the internet and changed it myself.

I have checked the hose can't see any problems with them, I have put some diesel injector cleaner in with the fuel, it does not seem to be smoking as much now.

I have taking it for a blast up the A30 this morning the limp home mode only came on twice in a short space of time at the start when I opened it up, it reset okay both times I have done about other 15 miles no repeat at varying speeds and revs.

Another thing I have noticed is when I am idle and you switch everything on the engine is struggling with the extra load on it feels like it is going to stall.

Edited by Alan High on 23/08/2009 at 18:02

i would also have a good look at the pipes from the turbo to intercooler, intercooler to engine, sounds like that it may have a small split not big enough to make a noise loud enough to hear but just a small tear that opens up under a greater load and sets the light but go's away when you reset the ing this would give an egr fault code although not strictly related, had one the other day small tear on the pipe from turbo opened up under extreme acceleration only noticed it through the noise, Regards TB
I was thinking it was something do with the air con compressor as I noticed it happens more when I have the air con on and when I my foot down.

Sorry to be thick but I am used to basic petrol engines, is it the big pipe across the top of the engine, and also is the intercooler the item above the exhaust manifold.
03 2.2 ECU fault light - Collos25
I think I would forget the aircon its just using extra power needed from the engine, the cars problem is in the turbo side more than likely its the EGR/Piping/Turbo vanes you want to look at the Vectra/signum forums your fault crops up on a regular basis.
I have checked all the hoses and I can't find anything wrong with them, I have been speaking to some who had a similar problems and it was his MAP sensor, where can I get hold of one of these cheap the Part Number is Bosch 281 002 437.
03 2.2 ECU fault light - dropdeadfred
Hi, bit late to this, but if you are definately sure both hoses are intact and secure, then the next port of call should be the boost sensor.

Remove the engine cover, Look at where the intercooler hose goes into the engine / manifold. On top you'll see a small black box with a Bosch sticker on it. This is the boost sensor. Use an 8mm spanner ( I think ) to undo the bolts, withdraw it carefully, having unplugged it of course, and spray the oily looking bit that poked through the hole you've revealed liberally with carb cleaner. Agitate it very gently using a small artists brush, until the sensor is restored to a nice brassy finish.

Put it all back together and try it. I've done this on a couple of 2.2 DTi's over the years. Generally it works well.
The booster sensor I have been cleaning most as you posted, I have notwreplaced the sensor and also the air flow meter myself, the EGR and vacum pump valve has been replaced and the last couple of months but I still getting the ECU light coming on at random. When it comes on it does not put the engine into limp home mode any more it will cut the engine within a few hundred metres. It was checked this morning I am getting the following fault codes coming up they are P0704 incorrect clutch switch signal not present and P0638 electronic sensor circuit high input not present. I had these 2 codes when the vacum pump was changed by the main dealer.
there is a field remedy for this exact fault and you should ask the dealer if this has been looked at/instigated, the number is FR 2058, the fr is basically what i have been saying its either a cracked t piece or a leaking vacumn pipe, a close look at the servo elbow as it go's into the servo, if its loseing vac it will not be able to control the throttle flap properly and it gets stuck in the almost closed position,Regards TB