2004 - over reving & accelerating itself - hunny bunny
I bought my renualt megane 54 plate 3 months ago, it has only done 40k miles. The day I bought it it was excellarating itself and over raving so I took it back of which the auction said they found nothing wrong with it. This was because the car had reset itself. A few weeks later it started again, the dash board wrote check injection and it started overaving and excellarating itself again. I took it to a renault dealer in Oxford which they charged me £92 for dignostics. They said that the car needed a new throtle pedal which they replaced at £89. A few weeks later the same problem started again this time when i was in trafic doing 10-15 miles per hour and it continued to do that so when I switched the car off it reset itself again. I continued with the journey and it was fine. Two days later, it happend again so I took the car back to the dealer. This is the horrific part, they said that the car needed a new wiring loom which they quoted me at £1987 to replace as they said they had to order it from France. First the had misdiognised the car and charged me now they are telling me its something totally different. Has anyone ha dthe same problem with thier renualt?

{Header given a more meaningful title that gives a brief description of question being asked. 50/50 split whether this belongs here or in Technical Matters?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/05/2009 at 13:46

renualt megan horror - bell boy
oh the joys of buying at auction eh?
with regartds the dealer ,why do you say it was misdiagnosis? if the car worked and now has gone faulty
ive read about renault wiring looms getting water ingress and causing problems like yours and the best answer i always think is take it to a recommended auto electrician in your town
be aware if he isnt busy for the next fortnight then he aint no good
but he will sort your car for less than the price of a new cutty sark

personally i think youwere brave to stick your hand up on this but hey ho
renualt megan horror - TheOilBurner
BellBoy, with respect, I think it's pretty clear that the new throttle pedal didn't solve the problem (as good as definition of misdiagnosis as you'll get!), that the wiring loom was faulty all along - if indeed that is the problem. Either that or they screwed up the loom fitting the pedal...which is even worse. Unless you believe that it loom was fine when the pedal was fitted and somehow faulty just two days later? Highly unlikely, IMO. I guess we'll never know for sure...

OP, take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion before doing anything.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 08/05/2009 at 12:18

renualt megan horror - Alby Back
If it's still driveable take it back to the auction and sell it. Quick.....
renualt megan horror - DP
I agree with Humph.

This is the problem with running a Renault out of warranty. Here we have what is probably a trivial fault. A wire has come loose or chafed / broken somewhere. Can happen on any car at any time. On an electrical system of this nature however, it plays havoc and renders the car unusable. Then you find out it's going to cost you £2,000 to fix it.

The repair bills these cars can throw at you would be comical if they weren't so serious. Patch it up or disguise it as best and as cheaply as you can, and punt it back through the auction. If you decide to keep it and get it fixed, I can almost guarantee you something else will go in 6 months time and present you with a bill of £500+. It's just what Renaults seem to do when they get to 3-4 yrs old. They're cars you buy new, run for 3 years, and chop in for another new one. Not designed or built to last.

On the upside, when it's running, it will be one of the most pleasant cars you will ever own.

Cheers
DP
renualt megan horror - TheOilBurner
On the upside when it's running it will be one of the most pleasant cars
you will ever own.

I was with you right up until this point... :)
renualt megan horror - DP
I was with you right up until this point... :)

Ha ha. I actually meant it sincerely. VAG and the like could learn a lot about NVH suppression, ride quality, practicality, comfort and how to make interiors light, airy and pleasant from Renault. In all these areas, I actually think Renault are in a different league to their competitors.

As a 30-35k a year tool, I thought my Megane II was a far nicer and easier car to live with than the mk1 Focus it replaced. It was better equipped, more comfortable, more refined, better riding, quicker, quieter, had more interior storage space, and was much less tiring over a long distance. Not a patch on the Focus dynamically, but most of my time was spent driving in straight lines. Our old Scenic II, despite becoming a complete liability in its last month in our hands, was also a lovely car to use.

I totally agree with DP
To the poster that mentioned the fault after 2 days if you read the thread again it reads the fault went away for a few weeks returned then came back to haunt after 2 days
i bet if the poster went into the history of this car its got hidden depths by the way
renualt megan horror - mrsarcasm
Or trot along to here www.meganeownersclub.co.uk for some actually useful advice.
Or trot along to here www.meganeownersclub.co.uk for some actually useful advice.

>>>>>>>> with respect hes been told by me to see an independant good auto electrician
and been told to shoot it back to the block by someones else
just throwing links up is a waste of time ,i could sit on a fence all day too being sarcastic but there arent enough hours in a day to pull all the splinters out
renualt megan horror - mrsarcasm
You're advice is hardly impressive is it? Go visit an auto electrician but if he can book you in within 2 weeks walk away because it means he's rubbish! Outstanding! What does shoot it back to the block mean? Sell it in an auction? Another fine solution!
Or join a forum of Megane owners who know the Meganes quirks and common issues and will certainly have more idea and pointers than just getting it repaired somewhere else.

Edited by mrsarcasm on 08/05/2009 at 14:43

renualt megan horror - madf
" Meganes quirks and common issues" = design faults and poor build quality.