00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - blubell
Hi their,
i bought a honda automatic x reg on saturday drove it home was a lovley drive ,
gets up sunday went up the road in it and its jerking as im driving then the engine manegment light went on , i carried on and the jerking stopped after bout 10 minutes the light went off about 15 minutes later,
it drove lovley after that,
today get in it and same thing with the jerking and i heard a loud clunk from front of car as i stopped at lights then again after few minutes on the road it stops the jerking,
the car did come with a warrenty im taking it in tommorra but really want to take it back to the dealer and demand money back i feel sick like i just been done out of my £2300,
i didnt want to be taking car into a garage after buying it and having it just 2 days plz any advice on what it sound like it can be and what i do now,
very depressed blubell gal herexx
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - Rattle
Try not to worry, my dads Fiesta over heated the day after we bought it, we thought we bought a dud, turned out the thermostat got stuck.

Take it back and give the trader a chance to fix it, I don;t think you have any legal right to your money back unless the trader cannot fix it.
hi ya thanks hope im that lucky but i dont think i will be,
i called the dealer who said i must not call him but go thu the warrenty number he gave me they say i must take it to get it checked out then ring them and see if what ever it is ,is covered,

i have no faith at all and got the most awful feeling iv been done ,
cars going in today will let you know what is found,
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - jc2
Many posters on here tell you to part-exchange your car as soon as it starts to develop problems;you seem to have bought on of their exchanges.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - adverse camber
>>i called the dealer who said i must not call him but go thu the warrenty number he gave me

He's taking the proverbial. You've just bought it and it is faulty. You have a right to your money back. Go talk to trading standards who can give you the exact rules to quote Sale of Goods act etc. then go along and demand your money back.
well it seems theirs alot more wrong than i understand the guy at local garage plugged it into that yellow box thing and their were a number of things come up starting with sensors need 2 of them their£70 each and the gear box showed up other problems ,their was air flow problem, vaulve prblem not enough petrol getting to the engine and well i cant remember the rest, im as sick as a dog! sob sob sob, none of the repairs needed are covered by the warrenty and im looking at around £500 repairs bill at least , trading standers here i come only hope i can get my money back,
thanks all who advised me wish be luck im gonna need it,
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - islandman
You have one of these 'useless' third party warranties that are in the main a waste of time.

The dealer you bought from has an obligation to put any faults right particularly one that happened almost immediately. If he won't listen as you say contact trading standards for advice.

My advice would be to write to the trader by recorded delivery stating the faults advising that you need them repaired. If he refuses then advise him you will not be using the car anymore (can be difficult, I know but important) and demand your money back. Request a response with say 7 days. Advice that in the event of no agreement you will submit claim through the Small Claims Court.

Keep your dialogue polite and to the point.

Good luck.

PS --- The above worked immediaitely for me a few years ago with a car I bought for my daughter. --- The same day the trader received my letter he phoned me to say bring the car back & he would give me a refund.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - mfarrow
Unfortunately you cannot get your money back without giving the garage reasonable opportunity to fix the fault (i.e. around two goes). Of course Trading Standards will tell you that you can get your money back, but this is not true.

Give them two opportunities to fix it then get your money back. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about the long list of codes coming out their machine - a lot of them will be as a result of a failed component, and then the ECU thinking others have failed because it now doesn't trust what their saying, etc. It's a vicious circle.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - islandman
You are quite right mfarrow ----- In my own case the Garage had 3 attempts to fix a problem without success.

However in this case it seems the dealer is 'washing his hands' of it and telling the buyer not to contact him but to deal with the 3rd party warranty co.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - Rattle
The contract is legaly with the trader not with the warranty company. One of the reasons I am still carless is I will not buy a car from a dealer who tries to farm of their responsabilities to an insurance company.

By law the dealer has to either but it right or give you your money back. I have a feeling with the list of faults this car has he may offer you the money back rather than repair.

I agree with fault codes too, been having several problems with phamton codes on my dads, cause was actually down to the MAF which needed cleaning and the plugs which were fouled but on the face of it looked as if every sensor in the engine need replacing it didn't.

Good luck and what ever happens you have a legal right to get this proboem sorted, is the trader reputatable or is he trading of some random bit of land on a car wash place?
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - TurboD
it was grossly overpriced to start with! worth about £1500 max I would say. Was it from a Honda dealer?, they know how to charge.
But get on the case , there is a legal recourse there and you are going to have to take it.
The worse case is a recon box, about the value of the car, I am afraid.
iv spoken to the guy today and told him the cars got problems (i suspect he already new this)
he tried to say that the garage i had taken it to had told me their were problems cos they want me to pay them to and make money out of me,
so i informed him that i had also rang a honda dealers who were going to put it on their machine and give me a print out exactly wot was wrong and that i would be coming back to him with the car ,
he told me not to bother with going to honda and to bring the car back and he would repair it or refund me,
pretty cool a, hope he means it ;-) , gotta say its put me off buying anything else nowbut i gotta get a car,
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - oilrag
I would go for the refund.. In fact I would have been on his doorstep taking him up on it 5 minutes after putting the phone down.

Good luck anyway
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - quizman
Take the money, do not open the box.

Nearly everone has told you to take the car back under the sale of goods act. Do not let them try to bodge the repairs, they will only make it worse. They should have sold the car in good order in the first place.

Get your money back pronto.

Don't let this put you off buying another car, just don't go to Arthur Daly type places. And take someone with you who knows a bit about cars.

Edited by quizman on 25/02/2009 at 16:58

00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - mfarrow
Please read my tale woe before getting your hopes up:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71678
well someone up their loves me today i think, car went back and i got cash back,
WOW am i releaved thanks to all who gave advice it really did help i used some of ur words when i went their and it was clear he DIDNT want any hassles with trading standards so was quite happy to refund me, after offering me any other car he had but nothing i was interested in think i had a lucky escape,

Now can Anyone please advise me of a GOOD used car Dealer i have £3000 to spend and all i want is a decent car thats, gasket isn't on its way out, gear box dodgy or anything else thats going to be a right off in 3 months time,

i been using Autotrader to search and have been looking for months before i got the honda,
i now see that even auto trader has a lot of cow boy traders on their with flashy web web sites, and their boasts of how their a family bussiness established 20 years bla bla bla is a load of crap,

where i got the honda wernt as bad as some of the places iv seen we once went to veiw a car pictured on a car front boasting all the usal banter and wen we got to the place we found no car front at all i rang the guy thinking we must be in wrong street and he said no we had right place and his brother was coming with the car, it was in the middle of a street with houses on one side and a big park the other so i left but it took me 4 hours traveling to get their and back so was a big waste of time,

so where can i get a car , who can you trust im lossing faith!
im in south east London by the way so any surgestions, please?
funnyest thing is their a big car front up the road from me but i suspect all his cars are salvage motors, i check out 2 of his cars and they where both once an insurance right off, also wen u look at most of his cars (and some look great) but theirs always problems with the gaps between the boots, bonnets, doors , or the paint dont look right on one side , their just always seem to be something not quit right with them,
all are very low millage also , i mean to me if a N reg cars only got 45000 miles on the clock and its had 6 owners that rings alarm bells to me , am i right to be worried about such things, or am i being overly paronoid ? , all i no is its driving me insane ,
and i cant afford to pay someone to tag along with me to inspect every car i look at i wouldnt mind if the car would be ok but iv seen alot with problems , the honda looked great but even that had hidden bad points,
I would buy a privately owned car if I were you. The dealers will want to make quite a bit for the hastle of finding buyers etc.
Have a look in the local papers and there are some private cars on autotrader.
I'm glad you got your money back, good luck.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - bathtub tom
Just keep looking. Be prepared to reject most of the cars you see, they're probably for sell because nobody in their right mind would consider buying them.

It once took me eighteen months to change my car!

But I am a cynical ole git.:>)
i know what you mean about taking 18 months to find a car, i myself same time last year had saved £2000 and was looking for so long i was taken a local guy from a garage and paying him £50 to come and check out cars i had seen after the 4th car i gave up taking him as what with the travel costs it all just started draining my car money till in the end by july i gave up, now i need a car desperatly ,
my sons been diagnosed with leukemia and i need a car to travel to hospital forhis treatments its all to much for him awaiting for hospital transport (when we can get it)
and the cabs fares are to much i just want to take my son in the comfort of our own car just wish everything wasnt so difficuilt, its already such a hard enough time as it is .
i droped my son to hospital today with a friend who cant drive and i had to leave my boy their with her to sort this honda id bought out and when i went back to the hospital my son was so sick and just wanted to come home but we had to wait about reling on cabs it was truley heart breaking,
iv been looking for a car with my £3000 since November now and we did have the use of a car till jan this year but alas no more,
its a cruel world ,
so on we fight ,
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - Chuckie888
The used car trade is still full of charlatans but why can't anyone spell these days?
Here is a little example that shows that spelling doesnt realy matter.

Hrese is a ltilte eaxmlpe taht swohs taht selplnig deonst raely mttear.

it looks scrambled but is relatively easy to read. The brain does some clever things.

iv got more important thing to worry about than if i crossed all my p's and q's mate ,
you always get one dont you, sorry if my spelling bothers you so much but lifes to short ,

Edited by Webmaster on 26/02/2009 at 00:14

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno?t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I you tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - rtj70
Yes I can read it and apologies for a member having a go at a time when you need help sorting a car.

What part of the UK are you in. Maybe someone knows of a good deal. Sounds like you were fortunate with the Accord and the refund.

Rob, a site moderator.
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - Robin the Technician
Well said Rob,
We live in such a xenophobic society that we don't need people criticising peoples English literature abilities. This Forum is about helping people with car problems - not education. If someone needs advice and I can offer assistance, I will. I REALLY don't care if they can spell or their job is in jepoardy because they can't. Perhaps in future such comments could be removed before a slanging match ensues. Criticism about other peoples abilities are not needed and certainly not welcome here.

Robin the Technician
With 30years in the trade - I fix, therefore i am...
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - L'escargot
........ sorry if my spelling bothers you so
much but lifes to short

And so might be your employment prospects, if you're not careful.
thanks rtj70, yes think i had a lucky escape with the Honda,
im in SE London,

L'escargot
also thanks for your concern but i do already have a full time job thanks,
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - dimdip
Bemusing that people will go out of their way to have a dig at someone about minor spelling mistakes under the circumstances, whilst offering nothing constructive.

Sorry to hear of your situation Bluebell; I'd have hoped there would be NHS transport available, but obviously not. The advice about staying with private sales sounds sensible; asking around at work etc whether anyone reliable is selling a car on might be worth a go I guess. Perhaps worth a separate thread in the Discussion room?
I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular as many of the responses had spelling mistakes. It was just an observation, indeed I make spelling mistakes myself but I blame it on a sticky keyboard! lol. Glad you got your money back anyway - I've had a nightmare with an auto trans and getting your money back for the car is most definately the best option!
BTW I would ignore advice about buying privately unless I have misundertood your circumstances and you or a good friend understand car mechanics in depth. What would have been the outcome if you had bought the car privately? You certainly would've faced a bigger and harder battle to get your money back. There are a lot of people on forums with good intentions but who do not really know what they are talking about. Technical issues by their definition are precise and so precision and correctness are paramount to any diagnosis. After all, to everyone else it is just two minutes on a keyboard to comment, for you it is a lot bigger problem involving money, stress, time and family commitments. Please forgive my preaching and I am not Xenophobic, indeed I am ethnic myself.

Edited by Chuckie888 on 26/02/2009 at 19:13

believe me chuckie I know what you mean, most of the private buyers I have called in the past either didn?t know what car I was interested in when I called (how many cars they selling? )or the cars log book was not in the address I am given,
this all makes me think they just pick up these cars from an auction and want to make some fast cash,
also theirs loads of cars with for sale signs in them around where I live but I know they are all probably from the car auction up the road from me,

if I wanted a car from an auction I?d go and buy it from their myself only not from the one I live near as I know the cars their are all rubbish,

I did buy a nice Nissan Primera 7 years ago from an auction near Clacton
I had it 5 years was the best car iv ever had,
till I took it to a garage for minor repair that should have took hour or 2 and he had it for 2 days telling me all sorts of crap, charged me £300 then 2 weeks later the auto gear box started playing up and the car packed up,
maybe coincidence I don?t know but I was gutted when I had to get rid of it.

I cant afford to be ripped off (who can these days)
just want a half decent car that?s not a piece of junk ,
I was lucky with the Honda,
I don?t have no one who can come and help me I am a women (worse still a blonde women) so I am every skanking car salesmen?s dream aren?t I !, I am aware of that,
I also can afford to take an RAC man to every car I see I end up like I did last year NO car NO money left,
man oh man whats a girl to do :-{

sorry was to late to edit,
but i didnt get your last sentance chuck!
what bearing does your Ethnicity have on any of this?.
The ethnicity remark was a retort to the non-constructive Xenophobic comment placed by someone who apparently only comments when they can be constructive and help.

My advice would be to buy from a trader for peace of mind as you are not car mechanics savvy and do not have 'easy' legal recourse if something goes wrong. Yes, you will pay more than when buying privately but then the trader is taking a risk that they'll have to give you your money back or fix any problems that may unreasonably occur. I have noticed that you are actually quite knowledgeable and this along with the other attributes you mentioned could be a potent formula for negotiating a good price from a dealer who underestimates you!

In addition, auto gearboxes are not very well understood in this country and manufacturers' say stupid things like "sealed for life" and make it awkward for oil changes and dirty oil leads to most failures.

I give this advice at a time when I am about to try and sell a couple of cars in my 'fleet' so rest assured that I have your best interests at heart!
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - R75
To be honest I would spend £2k on a car and keep £1k for repairs whe it goes wrong.

The difference between a 2k car and a 3k car is very small, so go for the 2k one and keep the 1k in your pocket. A 3k car is as likely to have as many problems as the 2k one.

I also don't think it matters where you buy it from, either a trader or private, at that price range they are pretty much the same, at least with the trader you can take it back if thing start to go wrong!

Good luck in your hunt!
>>>There are a lot of people on forums with good intentions but who do not really know what they are talking about.

Chuckie888.

I think that for a cheapish car, buying privately makes sense, as trade sellers will want to put quite a bit of money on. Of course make sure it is a genuine sale and the seller has owned the car for a while.

I did not know or care what gender or colour bluebell was, it does not matter.

PS I hope I've spelt everything correctly and I am sorry if I do not know what I am talking about. I just post what I think is right, it is a forum where people have different ideas. I hope this is OK with you.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/02/2009 at 17:40

great advice R75 think i will do that. thanks
00 2.0 have i bought a dud with gear box problems? - TurboD
very pleased you got the cash back, wow, some unlucky so and so wil get it but there you are.
My lad sold a manual Accord a year ago for £1600 ,T reg ,and it was immaculate, I know because I looked after it.
There are good Accords out there, they are tough and nice to drive, but need to be looked after, with new belt etc . - forget auto in this country .
I say go private, but make sure it is , not a trader in drag. need to see it owned at least two years by owner, otherwise walk away
I think local papers are the best bet, I loathe autotrader, never trust the cars in there, and have my reasons