Rejecting a used car - mfarrow
Hi

Astra 1.7 DTI on 52 plate

I purchased this car last Saturday (24/01/09) from a garage/dealer and within a few days noticed the following faults:

• It would rev on it's own when in traffic, usually to 1500rpm before coming back down slowly
  • Upon a cold start, it would misfire for the first minute or so, but this fault would eventually clear

• The garage were notified of these problems on Thursday (29/01/09), for which the vehicle was due to be inspected today. However, last night (30/01/09) the vehicle broke down on the motorway and would not restart.

Owing to these problems, the short space of time I've owned the car, and the fact that the car is now immovable, I intended to reject the vehicle. However, the garage are refusing and want to look at it on Monday, telling me that 'legally' I cannot reject the car.

To be honest I've lost faith in it now and I would like this whole sorry saga to be over with, but who is right? And what are my rights?
    Rejecting a used car - craig-pd130

Everything you need to know is here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

You have to give the dealer a chance to fix the problems satisfactorily.

But as you've bought a car that clearly isn't working, they should / must provide you with a courtesy car while they try and fix the problem.

If they won't, tell them you'll be billing them for a hire car. Keep a note of all your expenses (public transport, hire charges etc etc)
    Thanks Craig. Now this is where the confusion starts. This and many other sites say I cannot reject the car, but trading standards and other bodies say I can.

I really don't know what to do.
    Rejecting a used car - jbif
    .. This and many other sites say I cannot reject the car, but trading standards and other bodies say I can. ... >>

The link craig posted says:
    "If a product that was not of satisfactory quality at the time of the sale is returned to the retailer, the buyer is entitled to a full refund (if it is within a reasonable time of the sale), or, if a ?reasonable time ? has elapsed, to a reasonable amount of compensation. The consumer needs to demonstrate the goods were not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale. This is so if the consumer chooses to request an immediate refund or compensation. It is also the case for any product returned more than six months after the date of sale."

The consumer needs to demonstrate the goods were
    not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale.

How would I do that now, the car is at the garage, and I don't really want it back? Surely it is up to the garage to prove the car is not of reasonable quality?

HJ, thanks for the clarification.
    ?^ bump!
    The garage rang today - they've fixed the car and if I don't collect it by Tuesday they're going to start charging storage fees!

Please, I need your opinions/advice.

Edited by mfarrow on 05/02/2009 at 19:35