Am I being rose tinted or am I mad or just naive ? - frazerjp
Hey all, I'm considering in looking at the above titled Bavarian beast.
I've checked out the insurance for myself driver only & for someone who is in their 20's TPF&T isn't bad, nearly the same as an MG ZR.

What're they like to own? What is the 520i like for fuel consumption? although I only do about 6k miles per annum, as I hardly drive during the week, I do ocasionally go on longer trips away.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/10/2008 at 21:36

Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - madf
Think faster Ford Granada.
Without ABS the braking in the wet is interesting at speed.
I had a 528i.. it was nice but you could spin the rear wheels easily in damp.
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Hamsafar
Me, too, I bought a 525i SE in 1993 which was a 1986 model when I was 19-25 years old, it was £2495 which was a bargain in those days.
I loved it at the time, but not sure I would now, but I did look at them on ebay recently.
It was immaculate Zinnober red and people used to leave notes behind the wiper asking me to phone them if I wanted to sell it.
You can still get pattern parts quite cheaply.
If you get one, they were improved around B-reg onwards and I would prefer one from the 1984-1988 model era..
I agree about the braking and accelerating in the wet, that was my E28's demise of mine in the end but it withstood the crash very well, and I used it for a further 9 months before scrapping it. The wheels used to lockup very easily. The conversion of the brakes from left hand to right hand drive involved a metal bar on pivots across the bulkhead under the bonnet and it used to seize, only the other day I saw one with the brake lights stuck on (the first symptom).
BTW, The 520i & 520e had the cam belt engine (M20)
The 525i, 528i and 535i had the chain engine (M30)
If I had a choice I would like to try the 520e
They are very simple cars to work on.
Check for rust around the jacking points on the sills, check the brakes aren't seized, the brakes used the power steering hydraulics rather than vacuum, and if they feel hard, the accululator needs replacing and this is a sphere like on Citroen suspension. If the doors don't close with an expensive thud, there should be a grey rubber buffer cap on a rocking part of the mechanism on each door the about 8mmx8mm. The rear light seals also go, causing leaks into the boot as water drains from the channels straight over the light. These are common problems which can take a while to trace. The front suspension arms are also common failure points but quite cheap. If there is a transmission clunk, it may be the rubber transmission damper (guibo). The gearshif bushes also wear causing a sloppy gear change, these are easy to replace too.
I know a lot about them, so post back if you do get one.
Good luck.
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Adam {P}
Frazer,

Can't speak for the BM - I've never owned one. But I can advise about being young and owning a big stupid car.

Do it. Seriously. I had one and it was the most ridiculous thing I ever bought. It was big, long, heavy, had such a thirst and everyone laughed at me and thought I was stupid. They were right - I was, but I didn't care.

It bankrupted me (I'm still paying for it despite getting rid at Christmas) but it was one of the best things I ever did.

Live life and do it while you still can. The way things are looking, you might not be able to for much longer.

Adam
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - frazerjp
Adam are you talking about your Focus saloon? ;-)

The thing about this sort of car it's one of those cars that I've dreamed about owning since I was a teen.
Yes I do currently have a MG ZR, it's been so good to me for the last 12 months I've owned it, I'm bored of it.
Ok, I should have said my second stupid car!

Car I was referring to was a very uncool (or so I was told), but much loved E280.

Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - mrmender
Hello chaps just saw this post Ive just bought a 1984, 525i with .................... wait for it less than 20k on the clock runs like well new!
Only probelm is there is a yellow trinagle light with a !, keeps flashing it's the middle of the instrument pod what does this mean?
Oh yes before any of you ask yes i have been VERY unkind to modern BMW's on here still am! Could not resisit HJ's coments on this model " Built at a time when BMW's were not a common sight" .... That will do me
I aim to keep it and show it, as i do with my other classics
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - NowWheels
Only probelm is there is a yellow trinagle light with a ! keeps flashing it's
the middle of the instrument pod what does this mean?

It means that you aren't wearing the required baggy trousers and red braces. This is a 1980s car, remember?
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - frazerjp
BTW, thanks for bringing this thread back up, other cars I'm looking at are:
Toyota MR2 Mk1 (not a Mk2 thanks)
Volvo 480 (most will have forgotten what that is!)
Mini 1000 (just for fun)
Ford Fiesta Mk1 (just for a laugh!)
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - rtj70
"Ford Fiesta Mk1 (just for a laugh!)"

Saw one in early October in very good condition. In Nidri (Lefkada, Greece). and many more older cars than I can remember all the details.
So does any one know what the flashing yellow triangel is all about?
Is 1984 too early for traction control?
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Gromit {P}
mrmender: So does any one know what the flashing yellow triangel is all about?

It means the traction control (ASC in BM-speak) is switched off. If the car has TC fitted, that is.
It means the traction control (ASC in BM-speak) is switched off. If the car has TC fitted, that is.

Don't know im away with work for a week so can't tell. Im no expert on BM's but cant see my car having traction control.
Tried a BM forum the same symbol on a 3 series signifies ABS problem? I cant even tell if mine has ABS ! Will delve furhter when i get home next week!!
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Group B
I was just thinking, ABS was optional on the 1984 Audi 80 quattro I used to have; so its entirely possible your 525i has it.

Looking on the Bosch website, they say they introduced the first mass-market traction control system in 1986.

Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Hamsafar
Where on this picture is it mrmender?
www.m535i.org/gallery/e28pics4/janredovich6.jpg
Where on this picture is it mrmender?

Hi Hamsafar
Its in the middle between the two left and right flashing indicator arrows......... any help?
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Peter S
In some early BMWs the flashing yellow triange is part of the 'Check Control' system and tells you something is wrong. IIRC it checks bulbs, coolant level, washer fluid level and oil level. Does it say 'check!' inside the triangle?

HTH

Peter
No just an excalamation mark Inside the triangle
Mmm... not sure then I'm afraid. I was basing it on the E30 325i Touring that I bought on a whim as a 'project' / hobby which does have a similar triangle. Do you have check control panel above the rear view mirror with a series of LEDs indicating bulb failure/levels etc? If so try pressing the 'check' button on this once the engine has strated to see if the light goes out. The brakelight one won't go out until after you've used the brakes; a faulty brake light switch often causes problems in the E30...

Otherside it might be worth a quick look here www.mye28.com/index.php. They should be able to help

Peter
Hi Peter
Yes i have one of those panels I will check further when i get home on Weds I will top up all levels as required to see if this helps.
The car has a very interesting history. It has only done a genuine 18K
original owner died shortly after he purchased it. His widow could not bear to part with it it lay in his garage untill 2003
When the original owners grandaughter re commissoned the car in It was given to the local BMW dealer to carry out the work. The Reciept for the work shows a mileometer reading of 800 miles! and a grand total of£800 to carry out the work!
The body/interiour is unmarked, except for two smallish scratches which were down metal & nothing done with them & thus rusted. I may do them myself or get them done professionaly.
Saying that the car is probably only worth buttons even in this condition
OK, if you have the check control panel then all the LEDs should light up when you first start the car. They'll all go out after 20 seconds of so, except the one warning of brake light failure which stays on until the brake pedal is pressed.

While this is on (in the E30 at least) a yellow triange will flash in the main dash cluster. In the E30 this says 'check!' in it; it sounds like your just has a '!'. If any other LED remains lit then it should indicate where the fault is. If not all the LEDs light up initially, or when the 'check' button is pressed, then either an LED has gone (unlikely), someone has disabled it (possible) or there's a fault elsewhere in the check control system.

Sounds like a good find - I'd go for it!!

Peter
Am i being rose tinted or am i just naive. or mad? - Alanovich
I once owned a Volvo 480 ES, and I loved it. I took it up to 170000 miles and it still drove beautifully. All the major mechanicals were original and in fine condition. Its life was ended by a dustcart driving in to it whilst parked. Never been so angry at the loss of a car.

Two problems I had:

1) - a mystery starting problem which showed up once every couple of months. On turning the key, absolutely nothing would happen. Nothing. Then, after about an hour of trying, it would suddenly spark up and off we'd go. I had various electrical and alarm experts look at it, and also took it to a Volvo dealer who had it for 2 days and couldn't reproduce the fault. They also said they'd seen a few which did the same thing and had never been able to fix them.

2) - One of the pop up headlamps got stuck in the up position, but that was easily fixed.

I still fantasise about finding a late model 480 Celebration, complete with aircon, as a weekend car. One day I'm sure one will cross my path. If I were you I'd look out for the Celebration model, they were the last ones made and there were only 480 of them. They had the best spec and will probably be the sought after ones if ever they become collectors' items.
Volvo 480 - Conditional Identity
Bit of a diversion, I know, but I never knew there was a cabriolet version. This would certainly go under Unusual Sightings....
tinyurl.com/3q7agn

Volvo 480 - Alanovich
Says at the bottom that they were never made - I guess those in the photos are prototypes. Although they do look like production cars. I wonder if there are any around, I've certainly never heard of them and I do have quite an interest in the 480.
Volvo 480 - woodster
Frazer: Take a couple of grand out and burn it! Possibly a better outcome than your intended purchase. But yeah, as Adam says, you only live once. Regret what you did, not what you didn't do!!
Volvo 480 - frazerjp
I was looking at the old minis, many I found on ebay are selling for stuoid money.. as in ££££
There're Volvo 480s going for less, even they're beginning to appreciate in value!