Tyre goo - ajsdoc
Bought an S-max. I like it, however in keeping with lots of modern cars there's no spare, just goo and a compressor. Have been thinking that this will be a real pain if I do get a puncture, and I think ruins a possibly repairable tyre.

Does anyone know if there are any tyre breakdown services for non fleet users? Annual fee or pay on call out? My breakdown cover is with autoaid (pay and claim and much recommended), not sure what help they would be but I can call my own contractor rather than theirs if I breakdown and subsequently claim the money back.

I'd have to check the small print of their policy but even if not covered I'd like to know of any 24hr national tyre services if they exist. All help appreciated.

{amendment to correct typo in header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/07/2008 at 01:04

Tye goo - ajsdoc
Just read the similar post about run flats. Obviously more than one Smax owner worried about goo!
Tye goo - bathtub tom
I've just taken out an Autoaid policy. It states quite clearly that you must carry a serviceable spare.

I don't know where that leaves cars that don't carry one.
Tyre goo - Avant
I paid just over £100 for a space-saver spare for SWMBO's Mini Cooper. Expensive but worth it. Presumably you can get some form of wheel and tyre for the S-Max - and you've got more room to stow it!
Tyre goo - ajsdoc
You'd think so wouldn't you! Last car (Honda Accord Tourer) came with goo but I purchased a space saver for that (there was a space to put it). Smax seems to have no space to keep one, and I'm not just chucking it in the boot!

Anyone know if there is a national 24 hr tyre breakdown service so I can keep the number in the car? Internet seems to show options for car fleets, can't find private user service. This seems a definite step backwards in car design to me, I did know before I bought it of course. It's only now that the thoughts of a cold wet night with tyre goo leaking around my feet makes me consider what options I have...
Tyre goo - ajsdoc
Just for interest to peopke with autoaid policies and no spare - I emailed them. This is what I got back and offers some reassurance (however what happens with the puncture when the tyre places are shut?):

"Although the AutoAid breakdown policy states you have to have a legal spare tyre we are aware that some cars do not have this and have a tyre inflation kit instead, in the event of your vehicle having a puncture we would recovery your vehicle to the nearest tyre centre for you to get a replacement."

I've saved the email to present back if any problems (I agree their T&Cs don't cover this issue)