Mondeo screens cracking. - 1.8Verona
I have a 1.8 Mondeo Verona X reg 18 months old and a 300mm crack has developed starting at the bottom edge of the screen near the corner on the passenger side under the plastic scuttle trim going up and across the screen. This model has a heated screen, hence quite expensive. Despite detailed inspection there is no evidence of external physical damage, stone chips etc, and the Ford dealer is suggesting I claim of my insurance. I posted this on the Ford Mondeo chatroom/discussion group www.fordmondeo.org/chat1.html and lo and behold there are a number of people who have had this. Several mentioned the cracking started after the pollen filter was changed which involves the removal of the plastic scuttle trim. Surprise, surprise my car has just been in for a 20K service 3 weeks prvious and the pollen filter had been changed, co-incidence? Has anybody any suggestions why this should happen and the course of action? Why should I pay the excess on the insurance for a potential manufacturing or design fault? It was also strange when I went into the Ford garage to request someone look at the "a crack" the guy replied "Started in the bottom corner of the screen?", how many times has he seen it!!
Mondeo screens cracking. - Stargazer {P}
David, Mark, Martyn

Surely an item worthy of a technical thread to be archived?

Ian L.
Mondeo screens cracking. - 1.8Verona
Here are the comments from the Mondeo Enthusiasts site (www.fordmondeo.org/cgi-local/forums/ultimatebb.cgi...p
ic;f=2;t=001555)

Mirez
Welcome to MEG! I do believe the crack is normally caused by jacking the car in the wrong place... Thats what the local ford dealer told me but could be rubbish.

streetboy
This can cause problems,the screens are bonded in,jacking in just the wrong point will cause the chassis to flex.Proof why do we fit strut braces across the suspension turrets,to tighten up the front suspension from chassis movement.i drive a mercedes atego truck,every now and then i have to have the screen replaced,because the cab flexes and cracks the screen,even mounting the kerb can cause it,most have been replaced by mercedes under warranty, as there aware of the problem.

mattsmondeo
Bit hasty to blame the pollen filter housing, the crack is more likely from strees than the pollen filter being changed, the windscreen takes a fair wallop to crack it, as for the wire, some windscreens have longer wires than others, the wire then goes under the corner of the windscreen, dont try to pull it round, cos when the windscreen is fitted, the glue gets on the wire and pulling it out will either knack the heating wires or brack the seal on the windscreen making it leak. All this info from Silver Shield man, he should know....

adam taylor
Ive read before on MEG about a cracked screen after filter change, cant remember whose post it was sorry, but I believe theres a connection

mattsmondeo
In the last 2 months ive had the pollen filter, the shroud above it, the plastic case and the seal behind it out, there is no way you can break the windscreen putting any of that lot back, the plastic case of the pollen filter bolts to the bulkhead, the pollen filter itself drops in, the plastic shroud over the whole lot is clipped into place by the windscreen with dodgy looking screws which just pinch the clips up to hold it. If mechanics or anyone else manage to break the windscreen by changing the pollen filter, they shouldn't go near a car, not even one in a scrapyard!!! If it has happened to you and the windscreen has broke as a direct result of pollen filter/housing work, then you should seriously think of suing whichever garage done it if you can prove it. amazing.
Rant over. Sorry guys Just totally amazing.

squelch
mines the same, big crack above the pollen filter and it appeared just after the filter was changed
The only problem being that i changed it myself

mattsmondeo
Small claims court mate, sue your ass into next year, never let yourself get away with it, then dont recommend yourself to your friends..
How did you do it?? What should the rest of us not do?

squelch
not sure m8, they do have clips that go under the bottom edge of the screen, so it could have been them
I did sue myself and lost damn my defence was good

Clappers
Had the windscreen's changed in both my Mk1's. Started cracking in the same place on each one. I asked the guy who fitted the screen on my yellow one, and I remember him telling me he did loads of Mondeo's with the same fault. He obviously wasn't bothered what caused it, cus it kept him in a job! Had free window cover on my insurance, so it wasn't so much of an issue, just a tad inconvenient.
Mondeo screens cracking. - Chas{P}
There's a TSB on this:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.82/1998
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 09.07.1998
Section: 42
Model: Mondeo '93/'97
Markets: All
Subject: Windscreen cracking at the bottom edge

Service Instructions No 82/1998

When installing a new windscreen, it is possible for the front face of the locator blocks (also known as `piano spacers') to create a high pressure point which may result in the windscreen cracking, particularly when installing the cowl top outer grille assemblies. This can be resolved by removing the locator blocks
and sealing the holes with waterproof rivets (see Parts Required). The new windscreen should be positioned as shown and retained with adhesive tape (see Parts Required) whilst the adhesive cures.

Hope this helps to jog your dealers memory

Charles