96 2.5v6 testing a crankshaft sensor - Ian J
Can anyone tell me what resistance in ohms one should get when testing between two of the three pins on a crankshaft sensor on an omega 2.5 v6 petrol. I get 300K ohms. Test is done with sensor disconnected from engine management unit. What voltage should you get when cranking.
Ps car wont start and I am trying to determine whether crankshaft sensor is the fault. Car was working normally the prevoius evening , but wouldnt start next morning.
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP

Edited by Pugugly on 06/06/2008 at 21:46

96 2.5v6 testing a crankshaft sensor - Screwloose
Ian

Between 1 and 2; 5-800 Ohms. Between pin 3 and the others - infinity.
Thanks for the prompt reply screwloose.
I am not sure of the pin numbers but I am getting 300K OHMS between the centre pin and one of the outer pins( pins 1 and 2 I suspect) and infinity from the other pin 3 to pins 1 and 2. I also am getting about 1.5 volts ac between pins 1 and 2 when I crank.
Does the very high resistance I am measuring mean that the sensor is faulty irrespective of the fact that it produces a voltage when cranked
Re my last post I am confident of the resistance measurement but the voltage measurement may have been 150mv. I am not sure will have to retest.
Ian

Too low; I'd expect to see 4 volts minimum. Fit a new one - just make sure it's the right type - I've a feeling that there's a nasty trap in those V6 sensors and the wrong type fries the ECU.
96 2.5v6 testing a crankshaft sensor - elekie&a/c doctor
There are 2 types of sensor on these,one has an rectangular plug with squared ends and the other type has rounded ends,so you can't really go wrong.Fitting it is another challenge!hth
Thanks for the help screwloose, I am aware there are 2 types based on the electrical plug, rectangular or oval. Mine is retangular.
Although Motor Factors are half the price are you recommending that I fit Vauxhall/GM part .
Many thanks again your help is much appreciated
Ian
Ian

I always fit dealer parts - fed up with waste and grief from so-called "pattern" parts. However; I'm not paying - you are; compare prices and decide.
Thanks will take your advice. Based on your experience do you reckon this is the reason for nonstart. What I found amazing is that the car was running sweetly the previous evening
Ian

Pretty common reason for non-start. It might be able to keep running on the cam sensor - but maybe it can't re-start on just one sensor?
Thanks again for your help Screwloose and thanks to all for your help

Ian
96 2.5v6 testing a crankshaft sensor - Number_Cruncher
>>fed up with waste and grief from so-called "pattern" parts.

Although I don't supply and fit anywhere near the number of parts that SL does, I completely agree. When I was working more intensivley, I found pattern parts did let me down a few times, and so I soon gave up on them.

Like many young mechanics, my evening and weekends were spent in [informal] extra curricular vehicle maintenance activities!, and so, in parallel with my day work, I cultivated my customers and parts suppliers. After having had to go back to jobs and rectify problems caused by spurious parts, I've adopted a fairly strict original parts only policy.

I don't know when the changeover was, but Vauxhall have changed from using passive crank angle sensors where the teeth on the crank-wheel and sensor act as a generator to an active sensor which is powered by the ECU. The active sensor is more sensitive at low engine speeds, as the sensor is not being relied upon to generate the power and the signal.

NC

That was the "wrong sensor" trap that I was thinking of - not the Siemens/Bosch sensor difference.

I seem to recall a case of non-start after a second-hand engine swap where the wrong crank sensor damaged the ECU. Makes sense if a passive sensor was feeding voltage up the cable.
Replaced the crankshaft sensor and the engine burst into life.
Thanks again to all who helped and offered advice.
Ian
96 2.5v6 testing a crankshaft sensor - omega rod
can anyone help i have a v6 3.0l 96 omega that cuts out when im driving and when i am slowing down. i have changed the crankshaft sensor and it has not made any difference. can anyone give me a clue. also now and again differnt warnings flash up like oil lack and coolent level.