Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - D2*
I am going to be in Scotland for approximately 7 days in about a months time and will be needing to hire a car from Prestwick Airport.

I have never previously hired a car and have heard numerous horror stories about additional excess charges etc.
Has anyone got any recommendations for the best company to hire from, additional insurance cover and any tactics for negotiating the best possible price. I am not too concerned about what car as long as it?s a minimum of Fiesta size.

Thanks in advance for any advice / feedback.
Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - drivewell
Tell me when your flight's in, and I'll drop my wife's car off for you - she'll not miss it for a week ;-).

No seriously, I live in Prestwick. You'll have the 'usual suspects' available to you, like pretty much any airport. Get a package price, but be aware that almost all rental companies now have a very high damage excess. (I think I have £1250 on the people carrier I'm renting in the Irish Republic next month) Only you can decide whether you want to pay a waiver on this, if offered.

I've often had a good deal renting from Arnold Clark. They administer their rentals from a Honda dealership about 2 miles from the airport, but will, I believe, pick you up, and drop you off with a courtesy coach. Failing that, you'll probably need to go with one of the on-site national chains.
Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - mscott
Have a look at www.holidayautos.co.uk who act as brokers, and usually quote the cheapest of the big rental companies. I always pay for the full insurance these days; when I pick up the car I don't have to bother to check it for pre-existing dings and scratches, I don't care if it gets marked when I'm using it, and when I've finished with it I just walk away.
Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - Armitage Shanks {p}
Have a look at ???.travel supermarket .com. they have some cracking deals. I had a brand new Megane estate in Germany last year for £150 for a week. Mind you, the CDW was another £150 but I already had cover thru another insurer for £49 for a year in Europe so I was well please
tinyurl.com/5p46sx
£121.50 for a Family Sized car. Did you mean Glasgow Prestwick or Ryanair Prestwick?
Armitage

Please tell me more about the cover you have which includes the absolutely excessive 'excess' car rental firms now seem to levy (or exorbitant CDW).

Thanks

(and liked the 'Ryanair' Prestwick bit (still, better than 'Pure Dead Brilliant Airport')
Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - D2*
Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas, currently looking into and it looks like c£20 a day should be achiveable.

Just confirmed the airport will be 'Ryan Air Prestwick' which looking at a map seems a far fairer description than 'Glasgow Prestwick'.
Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - Peter D
I hire in many airports in the uk and europe and to avoid these excesses I use annual excess insurance from Insurance4carhire. To compare hire costs use moneysupermaret.co.uk Travel, Car Hire and let it do the searching for you. Carehire30000.com often does well. Regards Peter
Drivewell this firm used to feature in a pop-up ad on this site. I think the Mods don't like clickable links (?) so got to ???.insurance4carhire.com and or google for CDW Excess or something like that. They offer full cover for all insurance CDW XS within Europe for £49 a year AND this includes things that the hire company's own insurance does not like, punctures, windscreen and underside damage. I speak only as someone who has used them for many years and had a claim paid promptly and in full. Peter D Beat me to it!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 07/06/2008 at 09:10

Car Hire From Glasgow Prestwick Airport - john96
Try carhire3000, Ivé used them a few times to hire from Prestwick and found them a LOT cheaper than the hirecar sites!
Thanks, Armitage. Very helpful. Think I'll go for it!