New windscreen problem? - PR {P}
Wonder if anyone can help, we got hit by a large stone whilst driving in the GFs new Bravo. This cracked the windscreen. Phoned the insurance companies repairer, who ordered a new screen. 1 month later (dont ask!!) the windscreen turned up and was fitted today. On the way home the GF noticed windnoise from around the screen once up to motorway speeds (it was ok at lower speeds). She phoned the windscreen people who told her it may take time to settle in and to give it a week. Normally I wouldnt mind this but in 2 weeks were are travelling down to Italy in this car, so want it right. Does what they say sound plausible, has anyone else had this sort of thing happen? Thanks in advance.
New windscreen problem? - Lud
It doesn't sound plausible. What is there to 'settle down'? The new screen has been installed and is making wind noise. Look around the edges and see whether the trim, brightwork or whatever has been put back properly. It doesn't take much to make a wind rustle at speed.
New windscreen problem? - oldnotbold
I think that "settling down" is tosh. Agree with m'learned friend - look for protrusions into the airflow.
New windscreen problem? - Pugugly
I'd speak to the Insurance Company (assuming it was done through the insurance ?)

Edited by Pugugly on 12/05/2008 at 19:44

New windscreen problem? - teabelly
How long was it after fitting before the car was used? When I have had replacement screens I have been to not use the car for at least a few hours to allow the sealant to adhere fully which could explain why the seal isn't good. Ask them to come back and do it again but don't use the car until the following day if at all possible.
Thanks for the replies.

Pug - another complication is she changed insurance companies between the windscreen becoming damaged and now. The insurance company who paid for it no longer insure the car.

Teabelly - She waited whilst they did it, then a further hour when they said she could go. She will monitor it on the way to work tomorrow morning.

Can they re seal it so to speak or will it be another new windscreen job?

Update:

She reckons this morning the wind noise has gone (she went upto motorway speeds). I will check it out when I drive it again on Friday. Thanks again for your replies
New windscreen problem? - welshlad
what might help is to use heavy duty masking tape (but only on one edge of the screen at a time) then go for a drive and see which edge being taped cuts out the noise at least then you'll know for sure where the problem is if you cant see any glaringly obvious fault

Edited by welshlad on 13/05/2008 at 10:04

New windscreen problem? - FotheringtonThomas
I had a new windscreen fitted, and there was wind noise. I called the fitters, and they replaced it. If it leaks air, it could allow water in.
Yea thats what I though aswell! Did they use the same screen or did they have to order a new one? A friend who is a bodyshop man said they can remove and reseal them??

Anyway, hopefully that won't be needed now and as I said I will have a listen on Friday. She did say though that it was only about 45 mins after they had finished they told her it was fine to leave, so maybe it hadn't fully bonded by then
New windscreen problem? - FotheringtonThomas
Yea thats what I though aswell! Did they use the same screen or did they
have to order a new one? A friend who is a bodyshop man said they
can remove and reseal them??

The screen was stuck in with black compound, which sets quickly. It was levered out, which rendered it (far) beyond further sevice.
maybe it hadn't fully bonded by then

It does not take very long at all to set. I'd try and get it replaced. If it leaks, it leaks, and they won't want to faff about testing the thing, considering the cost of time v. the cost of a re-do.
Ta for that FT, I will assume though that if there is no wind noise it would be unlikely to leak, so I will listen out carefully on Friday.
New windscreen problem? - nick
Get a hosepipe on it and see. You don't want to find out in a thunderstorm miles from home.