Tyre Wear and marketing 30 years on - Chris M
Reading the kilometres to miles thread reminded me of the current Michelin television advert - don't know why!

The ad states it will lap the world (can't remember the exact words). I'm old enough to remember the Dunlop SP Sport's claim to 'lap the world twice with tread to spare'. Now I'm sure the current Michelins will beat the 30 (?) year old Dunlops in almost all other respects, but it's not all progress is it.

I had the Dunlops on my Maxi. Can't tell you whether they would have lapped the world twice - it was a Maxi!

Yes I remember the advert as well - subject line tweaked a bit to prove discussion PU
Tyre wear - DP
If my recollection of the dreadful abhorration that is the Dunlop SP Sport is anything to go by, the car would be written off as soon as its driver tried to negotiate a corner or roundabout in the rain, and hence wouldn't actually make it out of the UK in one piece.

Either that, or the exasperated driver would deliberately destroy them in the first empty car park they came across in order to have something decent fitted for the remainder of the journey.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Tyre wear - Altea Ego
If my recollection of the dreadful abhorration that is the Dunlop SP Sport is anything
to go by the car would be written off as soon as its driver tried
to negotiate a corner or roundabout in the rain

Oh please dont remind me. I had a pair of these (with white SP2 lettering) fitted to a Fiat 131 in 1980. My Father and I looked at each other with awe and wonderment as the first gentle application of brakes in the wet resulted in my sliding past the intended stop point with all 4 wheels locked.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Tyre wear - Clk Sec
>>>I had the Dunlops on my Maxi. Can't tell you whether they would have lapped the world twice - it was a Maxi!

I managed to get 108,000 miles out of a Maxi, but it took me 14 years.

Clk Sec
Tyre wear - Chris M
I think the Maxi was possibly the best concept ever to come out of BL.

Positives:
Front wheel drive
5 door hatch
5 speed gearbox
Fantastic use of space

(i.e. a format copied by almost every manufacturer since)

Negatives:
Built (or thrown together) by BL
Tyre wear - Mapmaker
My father had two. If you look at one today, they're incredibly small compared to modern cars.

Where's that link to see if cars are still on the road...