Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - arnold2
If I press the re-cycle button on my Focus, I get lots of air coming out of the dash, but if not I get almost nothing - car was just in for an oil change, could something have been hit that would stop the air-flow ?
Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - bathtub tom
How old is it?
Has the pollen filter ever been changed?
I suspect it's blocked (I'm assuming re-circulated air doesn't pass through it).
You have to be very careful with the cover, otherwise you'll end up with a passenger footwell full of water every time it rains (voice of experience).
Ah - pollen filter - where is it situated ? I'm wondering if it's near the oil filter ?
It's the dull black panel immediately below the windscreen on the passenger side (assuming RHD). In fact it lays on top of the bottom of the windscreen.
Like I said, be very careful with the fittings, or it won't seal afterwards.
Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - Dynamic Dave
Ah - pollen filter - where is it situated ?

www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispfilter.pl?id=39

Thanyou DD,
Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - L'escargot
www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispfilter.pl?id=39

Brilliant fitting instructions ~ much better than in Haynes manual.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - milkyjoe
If I press the re-cycle button on my Focus I get lots of air coming
out of the dash but if not I get almost nothing - car was just
in for an oil change could something have been hit that would stop the air-flow
?

if i press re-cycle button on my fiesta it will turn up at the scrapyard :(
Ah - right, thicken plots. Had a look, and the seal between the cover and the windscreen isn't water-tight - which I suspect means:

Water is getting over the Pollen filter

and

The filter is now all bunged up, so direct air isn't getting through.

2 questions:
Has the water ingress ruined the filter (is it plastic or paper based?)

and

How do I get the seal back so it is tight - there seem to be 3 round 'fittings' in the cover top (not the ones at the side which unclip the cover) - do these pull the cover down ? The 'middle' fiting seems a bit loose, which is where the slight gap is ...
I forget exactly how it goes, but I think one of the fittings is meant to slide sideways. This gets broken if it's just pulled straight off (thank you Mr main dealer), and it won't then seal against the windscreen.
I put some self-tappers through the fittings to pull it down tight against the screen. With a little blob of black paint on them they looked fine.
The windscreen then got smashed. The fitter liked my solution, but he said he rarely saw one without the fittings butchered, he ran a bead of black mastic along the join - very neat. I've since sold the car.
If you reckon the filter is so wet air won't pass through it, then you can dry it out on a radiator (well it's cold enough for mine to be on). They're not that expensive. You could run without the filter until you're sure you've sealed the cover, we never used to have them.
Focus MK-1, no direct air .... - Pete Mansell
I have always sealed the top cover over the pollen filter in my Mk1 Focus with clear silicone bathroom type sealant and never had any problems. It does a neat job and the cover will come off fairly easily the next time.